Just signed up...

jester_1269

Forum Probie
Reaction score
...for some ride time in a bird.

Careflight out of Ohio to be more exact.

I'm excited. B)

Everyone do the happy dance for me. lol

Hey that's great. You should get some interesting observation time!

I'm supposed to do the same thing with Careflight here in the DFW area... just need to send in dates that work for me.

I'm supposed to do the same thing with Careflight here in the DFW area... just need to send in dates that work for me.
You'll probably want to spell CareFlite correctly when you do that. They can be sort of sensitive about that. ;)

Enjoy, both of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
good folks! i was happy when i used them on moday. unfortunately the pt that i sent with didn't make it.

good folks! i was happy when i used them on moday. unfortunately the pt that i sent with didn't make it.

Most of the pts damaged enough to need airlift have a poor survival rate.

"Need" is the key term in that statement, and you are absolutely right. However, most patients sent by airlift do not "need" it in the first place. They're flow out either because the incompetent ground providers were stumped as to what to do, or because of simple MOI criteria, rather than any actual medical indication. Not to mention those who do have serious enough injuries to justify aeromedical evacuation, but would have been better off with rapid ground transport than waiting the extra time it took to get a helicopter out there. Overall, I theorize that as many people are harmed by the decision to fly them as are saved.

"Need" is the key term in that statement, and you are absolutely right. However, most patients sent by airlift do not "need" it in the first place. They're flow out either because the incompetent ground providers were stumped as to what to do, or because of simple MOI criteria, rather than any actual medical indication. Not to mention those who do have serious enough injuries to justify aeromedical evacuation, but would have been better off with rapid ground transport than waiting the extra time it took to get a helicopter out there. Overall, I theorize that as many people are harmed by the decision to fly them as are saved.

This is one topic I agree with you 100%! You statement above clearly identifies an increasing problem with HEMS and to my astonishment seems to still fall on deaf ears in the industry. Very well stated!

the lady that i sent to the valley monday had injuries that were pretty severe. she had a flail chest section on both sides, she was showing signs of a tp on the left, trachea deviated, complete scalp avulsion, pupils fixed and dialated, both upper extremities fractuered, and multiple lacs on both arms. needless to say... she passed upon arrival to the or.
all injuries were consistant with being crushed by a car against a garage wall.

We got a call last week to transport a HEMS crew from the helipad to a local ER, and 20 minutes after the estimated landing of the bird, we got a call from dispatch-- the patient had expired in the air, and they diverted to their base where the coroner was waiting.

Sounds like riding along would be amazing! Congrats, and good luck!

Wow, you must work in a really crappy system. That must be what created your attitude. I have not seen abuse of airlift in my area. We have specific criteria that must be met in order to call for airlift. We use it sparingly and because of our geography and weather, we don't always get it when we call for it. I guess your issue is with the 'incompetent ground providers'

Back