Just past NREMT, waiting on MN state license approval with 6 yr. Old DUI

Medicgirli87

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,
I have spent some time searching the forum for advice or insight for my situation. Long story short, 6 yrs ( almost 7 in May ) I was convicted of a DUO in the state of Texas. I was 21, young and dumb. I am finally nationally certified. I currently live in MN, and am waiting for approval from the state for my emt license...I do realize I'll be a huge liability for any future ambulance companies which breaks my heart, but would still like to try. Even in a ED or a clinic type work setting.
So what should I do? Does anyone know Minnesota's law on previous out of state DUI 's and getting state certified? I've requested my records from the county that I was convicted from just to see if it's even still on my record.
Please don't attack me, I'm doing my research just wanted any extra advice of its out there. I've since grown up alot, started a family and have no other record for the record.
Thanks in advace:/

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
It depends on the severity of your DUI. In MN, DUI's say on your record for 10 years, in TX its a minimum of 5 but could be more depends on the circumstances of your DUI.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I did a quick google search and it says that in TX the old law was ten years but apparently there has been a change to that. It looks like it depends on quit a few different things. I could call down there and find out a for sure answer. MN and TX both mention 10 years, so I would think at a minimum it would be that long.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure what you can do except for have as much documentation about the incident as you can. 6 years ago is not yesterday but it is also not 20 years ago. CA was super tough on that kind of stuff when I was in the Police academy and I knew a couple of guys who had gotten hired with similar history no problems. Be honest.

The state might not even look too deeply into this. They are likely to be more lenient than say an individual company of town. In those cases, it might just come down to if one person likes/believes in you or not. Clinics or ER tech positions would also likely not care. Its far enough. My police background was 10 years and "ever " on some things.... my federal was 7 years... I was never even asked for my city job.

I think youll be good provided you also werent high on coke... or hit a police dog or something.

OP
OP
Medicgirli87

Medicgirli87

Forum Probie
Hey I appreciate your comments. Fingers crossed MN gives me my license and I can take it from there. I will say it was dui, but I had a court apointed lawyer and I just pled guilty:( probably would of done it different if I could go back. I'm curious if I should look into getting it expunged, but overall you're right just being honest and letting them decide if I'm worth the hassle or not :/
Thanks again♡

OP
OP
Medicgirli87

Medicgirli87

Forum Probie
Is there not anybody else out there in EMSthat's ever had a DUI from their past and is now a medic? Or know anyone who has had a DUI? I am so worried that my stupidity from my past is going to ruin my passion in life at being able to help others. This sucks. How long must a girl wait to get a response from the state if they'll approve me? :( #Insomniaatbest

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
There are plenty of medics with DUIs. All depends on what company/department you are trying to work for requires. Only way to get that answer is to call them directly and ask their policy. For most places it's usually 5 years. I don't think you will have an issue getting your MN cert, considering it has nothing to do with you actually driving. It's just a certification class that you passed already.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Is there not anybody else out there in EMSthat's ever had a DUI from their past and is now a medic? Or know anyone who has had a DUI? I am so worried that my stupidity from my past is going to ruin my passion in life at being able to help others. This sucks. How long must a girl wait to get a response from the state if they'll approve me? :( #Insomniaatbest

Sleep has been shown to relieve stress. LOL. It will be ok. IT will be ok.

OP
OP
Medicgirli87

Medicgirli87

Forum Probie
There are plenty of medics with DUIs. All depends on what company/department you are trying to work for requires. Only way to get that answer is to call them directly and ask their policy. For most places it's usually 5 years. I don't think you will have an issue getting your MN cert, considering it has nothing to do with you actually driving. It's just a certification class that you passed already.

Oh I see, that makes more sense. I just read on the state's statutes that they at the right to deny my license if I have had any misdemeanor... so had be a bit scared. we shall see! If not maybe I'll go back home to Texas where I know they'd certify me LOL :)