Just Passed

LifeAlert101

Forum Probie
Hey guys I'm from Connecticut and I've been looking into this private ambulance company that serves my area along with the FD. So today I called them up and and they said being a new graduate I'd be doing primarily transfers and some 911 calls. Not wanting to sound ignorant I went along with the conversation but what exactly is a transfer and what type of work does it entail?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Transfers are non emergency calls. They usually involve hospital discharges, dialysis and nursing home calls. They're easy, but many of them will be the sickest patients you'll ever see. Great learning opportunities.

Have fun.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
A transfer is exactly what it sounds like. the transfer of a human from one location to another, usually under routine(non emergent) conditions. It's boring, simple, frequently unnecessary, more frequently back breaking and can be demoralizing long term.

It is also where the overwhelming majority of EMTs get their start. Very few organizations will hand you the keys to an ambulance and send you out in the world to save lives without ever having seen a real live patient. True enough, the renal round up(dialysis transfers) isnt going to utilize much if any of the stuff you were taught in school, but its patient care experience and you need as much of that as you can get to move up the ranks in EMS.

If you have never worked in EMS(your education says student), take the job. They don't expect to employ you till retirement. It's a stepping stone job and everybody knows it. You wont be breaking their hearts or ruining your career in a year or two when you quit, but you have to get started somewhere.