Just got my first job. Now what?

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
Well so far I'm 1 for 1 in interviews and getting hired. I know that's something to definitely be thankful for in today's job market, especially as an EMT. It's a 911 county-based service covering around 100,000 people. Now that I'm hired though, what's next? I have about a month until orientation and I would really like to be the best possible EMT I can be by the time I hit the streets. Any tips, advice, or suggestions for making this happen? Thanks guys, I always appreciate the feedback.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
First off congratulations!

I've been on 3 interviews so far with the third one being today!

Some tips I can give you since you have a month. Read your EMT book, stay up on skills, scenarios etc. Get good with vitals. If you can practice them in a moving car maybe with friends? Know your county's protocols. Learn what hospitals are around familiarize yourself with the area you will be working in. If you have flashcards look over them periodically I have a set of about 300+ next to me on my night stand. Maybe start doing some weights/cardio to help with gurney etc.

Idk what else I can add but good luck out there and once again congrats!

:beerchug:

wildthingmax

Forum Ride Along
I am currently on my fifth shift of my first EMT-Basic job. I work for a county doing 911 and transport calls. Invest in some good water proof boots that fit the type of weather, read your text book, buy seconds of your gear for cheap (pen light, pens, shears, watch,) try to see if your provider will allow you to take a emergency driving course if one is available before you start working. This has been my biggest challenge because I cant drive 10-18 traffic and I wont be able to until I complete the course. See if you can volunteer for a ride along to get familiar with the gear they carry and how they operate.
Also ill give you some advice about starting. You may not receive a warm welcome and thats ok. Medics and Intermediates may see you as extra weight and may not be too happy that they are having to "carry" you. Let them know from the get go if you are not comfortable with something and what you are not familiar with. Do anything you can see that needs to be done around the station, never let your medic or intermediate wash the truck at the end of the day unless they insist. Eventually they will see that you arent just bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:ting about your job and open up and show you things that you never heard about in class.
The most important thing is to listen. If a medic or a intermediate takes the time to tell you something and youve heard it before dont say oh yeah I know. Just listen to what they have to say and tips and tricks will come with the basic knowledge.

medicman14

Forum Crew Member
I am currently on my fifth shift of my first EMT-Basic job. I work for a county doing 911 and transport calls. Invest in some good water proof boots that fit the type of weather, read your text book, buy seconds of your gear for cheap (pen light, pens, shears, watch,) try to see if your provider will allow you to take a emergency driving course if one is available before you start working. This has been my biggest challenge because I cant drive 10-18 traffic and I wont be able to until I complete the course. See if you can volunteer for a ride along to get familiar with the gear they carry and how they operate.
Also ill give you some advice about starting. You may not receive a warm welcome and thats ok. Medics and Intermediates may see you as extra weight and may not be too happy that they are having to "carry" you. Let them know from the get go if you are not comfortable with something and what you are not familiar with. Do anything you can see that needs to be done around the station, never let your medic or intermediate wash the truck at the end of the day unless they insist. Eventually they will see that you arent just bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:ting about your job and open up and show you things that you never heard about in class.
The most important thing is to listen. If a medic or a intermediate takes the time to tell you something and youve heard it before dont say oh yeah I know. Just listen to what they have to say and tips and tricks will come with the basic knowledge.

I'm on my 23rd year in EMS. Wildthing has just given the best advise you can get and stated it well. Aka - Just don't let the couch get ya'...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Morbid curiosity, but is this your first job?

Everything that applies to any other job applies to working as an EMT. Show up on time (10-15 minutes early) work hard, dont be a knucklehead

OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really looking forward to getting started. I just completed my Advanced course and I'm testing towards the end of next month and there's a possibility I might get to run a some calls as the lead man after I get that cert and some time under my belt. All in all, this seems like a great first gig so far.

Morbid curiosity, but is this your first job?

Everything that applies to any other job applies to working as an EMT. Show up on time (10-15 minutes early) work hard, dont be a knucklehead

No, I should say this is my first career, not my first job. I'm 20 but I've worked 60 hour weeks for my summer job all throughout high school and have spent some time in retail, so I'm green in EMS but do have some real world work experience.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really looking forward to getting started. I just completed my Advanced course and I'm testing towards the end of next month and there's a possibility I might get to run a some calls as the lead man after I get that cert and some time under my belt. All in all, this seems like a great first gig so far.

No, I should say this is my first career, not my first job. I'm 20 but I've worked 60 hour weeks for my summer job all throughout high school and have spent some time in retail, so I'm green in EMS but do have some real world work experience.

advanced course?

OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
In Oklahoma we have ET intubation, IV's, ped IO's, and a small handful of meds - narcan, albuterol, nitro, 1:1000 epi, nitrous oxide, glucagon, and maybe a few others I can't think of right now.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I got the call today from the Ambulance company I went and tested at. They offered me the position this morning! After about a year of searching...

:beerchug:

OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
Congrats! It's a great feeling finally just getting your foot in the door somewhere. Especially since it seems like everybody wants experience even when it's an "entry level" position.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I know. I signed all my papers today and got my uniform and id card. My first day is this Saturday. Super excited! :D