Just got licensed as an ACP. What next?

Gingerbeef454

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking for some education opportunities post-ACP other than the typical PALS/ACLS instructor stuff. I'm interested in online bachelor degree programs. What kind of things do you think helped most? Also I'm in Canada so some stuff that would be interesting might not apply to me but give it a shot anyway. I've looked into the FP-C and CP-C programs, they dont really give me anything in Canada but it would be interesting, I'm already working flight so it's not needed in Canada.

cprted

Forum Captain
Thompson Rivers University based in Kamloops, BC will award 60 credits towards their Bachelor of Health Sciences degree for completion of ACP at the JIBC ... don't see any reason why that would hold true for ACPs from other schools. TRU has an extensive selection of online/distance options for the BHSc program.

OP
OP
G

Gingerbeef454

Forum Ride Along
Ok, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Medicine Hat College has a similar program but it's a Bachelor of Applied Sciences - Paramedic. I like the Thompson one better though since it's not just focused on the paramedic, I'd be interested in something a bit broader.

jcroteau

Forum Crew Member
I've heard multiple rumours (one from an instructor at the institution) that Holland College in PEI is developing an ACP to RN bridge program that you can complete online with a couple of skills weeks (2 years)

gnosis

Forum Crew Member
It's the most poorly organized program I've ever seen. Textbooks arrived a month late, materials are put up late, broken, or not at all. Instructors are hardly involved with their courses at all, and are barely useful when they are.

I took some courses at TRU a few years ago. No complaints at all.

OP
OP
G

Gingerbeef454

Forum Ride Along
That's interesting. An RN bridge would be pretty cool but honestly I'm not sure if I'd ever want to work as an RN. If I were to go any further in health care I'd probably do the TRU and get a bachelors and then maybe do premed prereqs at a local university and apply to med school. Either that or do the TRU bachelors and maybe get a masters in HR for management positions when I'm tired of working on the street.

gnosis

Forum Crew Member
I would seriously consider an RN bridge program, depending on the details of the program itself. RN is a pretty solid career path, and compliments being a medic pretty well.

cprted

Forum Captain
If it was a two year distance ED program ... it seems too easy not to get a highly employable and transferable license ...