Jump Bags?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Unless you're practicing under your own license (and wouldn't even be my cup of tea then), why have this kind of equipment at any level? Yikes.

I was initially going to post that this kit was overkill for physicians .

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I will actually admit that I have a jump bag. It was donated to an organization I was working with and they had 0 use for it so they gave it to me. While I was living in Honduras I kept an array of ALS gear and meds in it. Because if I didn't bring them to the party, odds are good they wouldn't be available. (Stocking the rig down there was...hit or miss.).

Now that I'm back in the states I have it stripped down to basically a hopped up first aid kit. Its mostly gauzes and tapes with a CPR mask and some splints thrown in for good measure. Also, it really only comes out of the closet when I'm headed into the back of beyond.

The only ALS gear in it strictly speaking isn't part of it, but the bag is the most logical place to keep them, which is a couple bags of fluids and assorted iv gear.

Those are purely for personal use.

*cough* hangovers *cough*

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The possession and confidence to use medical materials beyond first aid, without medical control and mandatory refreshers, is the gateway to medical misadventure.

You know the rules say no, but you are confident the circumstances demand action and confident you can do it despite being rusty and maybe under equipped and definitely not supported immediately by backup.

Two aphorisms for you:
1. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
2. Mycrofft's Quote: "Am I certain? Yes. Am I right?:censored:Maybe not. But I'm certain".

The component we all missed in our kit listings: a working cell phone with numbers for EMS, and a cell phone charger.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

EMT856

Forum Probie
When you have a loved one whom you've had to drop an airway in and bag because they unexplainably went into resp arrest and hypotensive (SBP <75) then you want everything you need to keep them alive until the unreliable ems system in your area can get you some help (sometimes over an hour)

OP
OP
E

EMT856

Forum Probie
everything over the EMT skill set is strictly for family.

mycrofft

And there used to be rules against treating family members (by physicians) because of the much higher likelihood of over-treatment, or under-treatment, or noncompliance with orders.

OP
OP
E

EMT856

Forum Probie
And there used to be rules against treating family members (by physicians) because of the much higher likelihood of over-treatment, or under-treatment, or noncompliance with orders.

:excl: Good thing I still have a couple years before im a physician.

mycrofft

:excl: Good thing I still have a couple years before im a physician.

That's the spirit that makes a profession great.
house_md_ver4.jpg

;)

jzero652

Forum Probie
Our company gives us a tech bag so we can stop directly at a call IF we are passing it on the way to the station.

In it;

Stethoscope
BP cuff
BVM
OPA's
NPA's
SAM's splints
Saline
Sterile Water
4X4 Bandages
5X9 Bandages
ADB Pads
Stretch Gauze
Assorted Tape
Triangle Bandages
Burn Dressing
Band Aids
Pen Light
N95 Mask
Gloves
Alcohol preps
Shears
Ice Packs
CPR mask
Emesis Bag
Bio Hazard Bags

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Anyone got a personal jump bag? What equipment do you carry or have at home? And along with that, what level of certification are you?
I carry a STATPACK, Trauma Dressing, Coban, X-Collar, triangle bandage, ice bag, assorted Bandaids for the little incidents that think they are dying. SAM Splint, Ace Wrap and a SOFT TACT Tourniquet. Leatherman multi-tool Nothing fancy, no need for a B/P cuff w/o an IV really no need.

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
I'm an Emergency Medical Responder(Canada), I have my own personal bag. But I also use it for football games as I am one of the athletic trainers. It's fairly extensive so I won't list everything I have in it, I was willing to pay the money because I wanted to have something that could handle most emergencies within my scope. I'll probably never have to use most things in it, but I do feel better having it at football games and in the trunk.

endocrinology

Forum Ride Along
i have the following in my personal bag at the moment:
bandage crepe 75mm (12's),bandage crepe 100mm (12's),tourch -pupil, scissors (rescue 19cm), rescue blanket x3, gauze swabs non sterile 100x100 100s, opa size 0-5,
safety glasses, paper tape, cotton balls:D, f.a.d 1-5, hand disinfectant, cervical neck collar adjustable (adult), fingertip pulse oximeter, a lot of gloves, stethoscope and one hand bp cuff small stuff like tweezers etc.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
i have the following in my personal bag at the moment:
bandage crepe 75mm (12's),bandage crepe 100mm (12's),tourch -pupil, scissors (rescue 19cm), rescue blanket x3, gauze swabs non sterile 100x100 100s, opa size 0-5,
safety glasses, paper tape, cotton balls:D, f.a.d 1-5, hand disinfectant, cervical neck collar adjustable (adult), fingertip pulse oximeter, a lot of gloves, stethoscope and one hand bp cuff small stuff like tweezers etc.
So with those assorted OPAs (but no BVM) do you just drop the OPA and get tongue deep in there to give breaths?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't have one, but I thought about a few basic things for when I am hunting and fishing with some friends and someone happens to have a little mishap. Doubt I'd do much more with that than just clean it and bandage it though.

endocrinology

Forum Ride Along
So with those assorted OPAs (but no BVM) do you just drop the OPA and get tongue deep in there to give breaths?

i actually got a bvm and pocket mask, but listing every single thing in the bag is very time consuming and sometimes without the bag in front of me i forget.
other equipment not mentioned: (to keep you happy is)
bvm ;)
pocket mask
NPA's
a blue pen ( manufacturer bic)
a permanent marker and & a notepad.
green stitching on my bag as well:D

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Ranger TQ, CAT TQ, Israeli bandages, both NPAs and OPAs, cravats, trauma shears, hook knife, ace wraps, Kerlix, red/green/blue chemlites, gloves, benzoin and steristrips.
For myself, I carry a blow out kit for range time. I have CELOX in it.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
I've been setting up a jump bag but nothing extensive.

Steth/bp cuff
basic airways
cpr mask
gloves, maybe a couple paper masks.
trauma supplies (4x4's, trauma pad, rolled gauze, etc..)
glucometer (wife had it when pregnant, don't use it at home anymore, so tossed it in my bag)
pen light, pens, notepad
maybe add a couple TQ's
maybe add a couple 500ml bottles of sterile water to use as an eye flush.

I'm a basic with an all volunteer department that runs maybe 150-200 calls a year in a rather large, mostly rural area in Wisconsin. It's not unlikely that half the people responding will go directly to the scene. My philosophy is to have what I think I need for ABC's in that 10-15min before the ambulance arrives.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I've been setting up a jump bag but nothing extensive.

Steth/bp cuff
basic airways
cpr mask
gloves, maybe a couple paper masks.
trauma supplies (4x4's, trauma pad, rolled gauze, etc..)
glucometer (wife had it when pregnant, don't use it at home anymore, so tossed it in my bag)
pen light, pens, notepad
maybe add a couple TQ's
maybe add a couple 500ml bottles of sterile water to use as an eye flush.

I'm a basic with an all volunteer department that runs maybe 150-200 calls a year in a rather large, mostly rural area in Wisconsin. It's not unlikely that half the people responding will go directly to the scene. My philosophy is to have what I think I need for ABC's in that 10-15min before the ambulance arrives.
Definitely TQs and some trauma shears. And don't forget duct tape: Gorilla 1" & std width.