Job Prospects as new EMT-B in Chicago suburb?

GoIrishEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone!

I'm honored to join your community. I'm currently a university student (you can probably guess where by my screenname) who is about to take the MCAT's in a month ... :eek: .

Last summer, I got my EMT-B license both with the State of Illinois and the NREMT. However, because of school and other extracurricular obligations during the academic year, I was unable to get any formal (real) experience riding around on the rig.

This summer, I'm returning home to the suburbs (Dupage County near Chicago) and I'd like to use my EMT-B license to serve the community. I hear that its hard for a fresh EMT to get work with the fire department or the ED. So, I'm going to try for a private transport company (Superior is the only one I know of). Though I don't think companies like Superior have jurisdiction to take 911 emergency calls (at least in the burbs), I'm still dying to get some experience on the bus.

Even if I only get the act like a glorified taxi to nursing home patients, I still want to do something productive for the summer vacation. Plus, I'm sure that I'll be able to see some cool stuff.

You all think that I have a decent shot of getting hired? Thanks for your input :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
I know that around here, alot of private services have a pretty high turn-over rate. Because of that, it is pretty easy to get hired with just about any of them.

OP
OP
G

GoIrishEMT

Forum Ride Along
That's good to know. Thanks.

I had a couple of other logistical questions. Since I'll be the newbie, I guess that I'll do most of the driving? I heard that many insurance companies require the driver to be 21, but I do not turn 21 until the end of the summer. This won't be a problem, will it?

Also, I know that many firefighter EMT/medics work the 24 hour on, 48 hour off shift. Is this the same with private transport companies as well?

Epi-do

I see dead people
I can't speak for the Chicago area, but in/around Indy, most private services have a combination of 8, 10, and 12 hour shifts. Depending upon the service, not being able to drive may make things difficult for you. Some services won't hire you, others will, but be prepared to tech every single run you are dispatched on. If you are able to drive for the service you work for, whether you do that or tech is between you and your partner. Some crews alternate every other run, some do it by shift, and some will split a shift in half and then both tech and drive in the same day.

Working private service is different than working in a 911 system. You will find that typically, you will have a much busier day. Depending upon transport time, turn around time between runs is usually 45-60 minutes. It isn't unusual to average one run per hour in a shift with private service. You will have days that aren't as busy, but it is a very unusual shift in private service when you only do 1 or 2 runs for the entire day.

OP
OP
G

GoIrishEMT

Forum Ride Along
Some services won't hire you, others will, but be prepared to tech every single run you are dispatched on. If you are able to drive for the service you work for, whether you do that or tech is between you and your partner. Some crews alternate every other run, some do it by shift, and some will split a shift in half and then both tech and drive in the same day.
Hell, I feel more comfortable teching than driving the bus, especially at night. But I'll be ok with doing either.

You will have days that aren't as busy, but it is a very unusual shift in private service when you only do 1 or 2 runs for the entire day.
I think of that as a good thing. I'd rather be busy during the work day rather than having nothing to do but fill out run reports at the station.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hell, I feel more comfortable teching than driving the bus, especially at night. But I'll be ok with doing either.

I think of that as a good thing. I'd rather be busy during the work day rather than having nothing to do but fill out run reports at the station.
In my past, I've made both statements... and lived to regret them.

A slow day is a good day!

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe and good luck!:)