Job Interview Tomorrow!

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
Well tomorrow to me is a big day I got a interview with a ambulance company and I want to make a good impression so I was wondering if anybody could tell me some pointers on interview taking I wanna nail this job, this would be my first time working as an EMT...

I have a feeling they will ask me why I chose EMS as a profession and I know I will freeze what would be a good anwser?? I have some anwsers but I want some opinons?

Last edited by a moderator:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
you came out of the womb with a stethascope and the star of life in your hands?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
just tell em you got lost on the way to college

medic44

Forum Ride Along
Just be yourself. Getting a job in EMS these days is fairly easy, there is a demand for EMS people. Employers like to hear your future plans, they like to know if you are going to be a long term employee or short term. If you plan on advancing to an ALS level, that would be a great thing to share with them as well. Good Luck!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Dress nicely... aim to be 1-2 steps above what the job uniform is... for a guy, that means that I wear a nice shirt and a tie... but not a suit.

I'm not sure what your previous job history is... but they will probably ask you about that. Things to emphasize... ability to handle pressure and change, and respond well under stress.

Jon

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its a joke. actually comes from the movie "Jarhead". when asked why he joind the marine corps, jake gyllenhaal responds "sir i got lost on the way to college"

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't talk too much. Answer questions as asked. Have a question or two about the company you would like answered (not how soon do I start accruing vacation) Talk to the interviewer as you would talk to a patient, respectfully, clearly and concisely. Show them you are a professional. No gum, no spandex or hooker makeup. I interviewed a girl who showed up in flip flops, crop top, and chewing gum, her cell rang twice during the interview.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
how did it go?

OP
OP
EMTgurl911

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
Well to me I think it was horrible if only people knew were I lived at these freeways are so bad I was of course late because I took the wrong interstate and I called them and it was like they didn't know where they wer at...I go to the place and its not what I expected their station was a old modular home with the ambulances parked behind. I walk in there and I can tell its a pretty brand new company and all these guys are staring at me..I go in there and explain to the guy and tell him I'm sorry for being late he said it was fine.

He asked me questions like:

Why do you want to be an emt?
What your defintion of a good manager and a company?
Are you a person who needs to be supervised or no?
what ours are you available to work??

I told them all the right anwsers..he then says okay I will be right back and ask if the other guy if he is busy and maybe he can give you a second interview...I then wait until he comes back and says he is busy and he will call you within a couple of days for a second interview. I shook his hand and I said It was nice meeting you and then asked again, So he will call me in a couple of days?? He said yes he will, he is just busy...

So does anyone think it sounds promising or not??
Should I call them if they don't call me in two days or wait for them to call me or call them Wednesday..just like giving them extra time...<_<

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
lots of places do multiple interviews, or one oral board with multiple interviewers. if you were getting blown off, he would have just said thanks ford coming in. we'll let you know.

OP
OP
EMTgurl911

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I guess you have point I just sended a thank you letter and told them yet again why I think i'm the perfect candidate for the job, because when I was in the interview I was so worried about being there late then worried about the questions and I was frazzled, I just want to make a good impression and I just don't see that happening when I go on the freaking wrong interstate and get totally screwed up!!!!!

THANKS MAPQUEST!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
how did it go?

When the cell phone went off the second time, I told her it was fine, we were done anyway. Thank you so much for coming in and we'll let you know...

OP
OP
EMTgurl911

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
Do you think I could have a second chance and I wrote a thank you letter and he did say he would call me within couple of days do you think I would have a chance when I told him I was sorry about being late He said oh thats fine dont worry about it

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you think I could have a second chance and I wrote a thank you letter and he did say he would call me within couple of days do you think I would have a chance when I told him I was sorry about being late He said oh thats fine dont worry about it

I would wait and see if you need a second chance. I think the fact that you were worried about it and apologized will help. Depends on how competitive the EMT job market is where you live.

For the future, I would make sure to do a dry run to a new place. Make sure you know where it is and how to find it before the interview. Plan on it taking way more time to get there than you think it will.

In real life, my hubby's first job as a paramedic was with a private ambulance company. On the way to the interview, our car blew its transmission going over the mountain pass. He was not only late, but had to use their ambulance mechanic to get our car towed to a local tranny shop. This was in the days before cell phones. We had both our kids in the car with us. We got a lift from a passing motorist to a phone, called my brother who lived in the area and the guy who was waiting to interview hubby. He ended up more than an hour late to the interview and they still hired him!

OP
OP
EMTgurl911

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
Well I went in there there station was in a modular home and they only had 8 units and I guess they are a brand new company supposedly and theyre looking for emts only..He told me theyre looking to expand and get bigger but he said he would call me in a couple of days for a second interview so i dont know if i should call or wait til he calls me

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if they want you, your being late probably wont affect your situation.

if they dont want you, all the calling and thank you letters you can muster wont help.

i dont know how things are in your area, but in mine there are about a dozen private services in the immediate area, with about 50 state wide. keep looking around, just basic research and what not. maybe even apply for another job or two. what im getting at is have a back up plan or next step planned so that if you dont get this one, your already lined up start the process at the next one. the worst thing that can happen is you file another app before your first company calls you back to offer you the job and you have to tell the second company "im sorry to waste your time but ive just accepted another position elsewhere". its always good to have a backup plan.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I just don't see that happening when I go on the freaking wrong interstate and get totally screwed up!!!!!

THANKS MAPQUEST!!!!

60/215/91 interchange? If so, mapquest, googlemaps, yahoo, garmin, tomtom, megallian have no idea what caltrans is doing with that area.