IV Fluids used in your system

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
El Dorado Co, CA carries NS. fun times. be nice to have some LT are time with are lengthy transports and use of Helos.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We were told to just administer [amiodarone] in the NS instead.

... and how's that working out? Patients complaining of parts of the saline bag leeching out and into thier veins yet? :lol:

[1] According to Medsafe: "Amiodarone Hydrochloride Injection Concentrate is incompatible with saline and should be administered solely in 5% glucose solution."

Trust us Kiwi's to know how it is ^_^

PapaBear434 said:
We call it a "Normasaline Bag" in front of patients sometimes. We never expressly say that it's medicine, so we aren't open to liability, but it makes some of the more hypocondriac among our patients to calm down, because saying "Normal Saline" that fast makes them think there is something good coming.

You wouldn't believe how many of them just fall asleep after we start the flow, thinking they are getting something a little more powerful than fluids

That's weird. I have yet to see a system that does not consider saline a medication (ok, it's an isotonic fluid, not going to do a hell of lot a damage unless you infuse so much you dilute fibrin/clotting factors/protiens or make a person hyponatremic or something); I do not know of any pharmacy I can roll up to and buy litre bags of NS without a prescription.

I am really interested to know how telling somebody you are giving them a medication (which you are) is somehow libel?

I just say that we are "[just] going to give you some fluid" nice and easy if there is a specific purpose I will say that too e.g. dehydration, hypotension, trauma etc

To the pharmacy to investigate the medication-ness of saline ... Brown away! :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I do not know of any pharmacy I can roll up to and buy litre bags of NS without a prescription.

We can here. I would imagine that most pharmacies wouldn't have litre bags, but any amount of injectable NS they do have, you can buy. Its stupidly expensive though for a wee bit of salt water.:wacko: