is there anything that i can study before my emt class starts in jan to get ahead

OP
OP
N

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
I seem to remember you being big on the whole education thing. Undoubtedly you are remarking on the low level of education involved in the EMT-B. In that case, why wouldn't you want to encourage someone taking a course that is not required to be very hard, to make the effort to extend themselves in the interests of building their clinical knowledge.

I might add too that even an easy class takes somewhat more effort to pass when you are otherwise engaged with the important and time consuming task of raising a family. There is no harm in getting a head start on the material when you know there will be unforeseen circumstances popping up that will get in the way of study down the track.

Thank you very much melclin. I would like to add in my defense that my husban also works on the road mon-friday so during that time i am basicly a single parent. So this course is going to be very hard for me and all the extra study time will help a great deal. ( i was able to borrow some books from a emt in the area.)

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
One thing I can recommend for the future which helped me a ton, is when your class starts, ask your instructor to give you the powerpoint presentations (if your class uses them) on a flash drive or email them to you. Going over these before or after class, or before a test or quiz can really jog your memory and help you in the long run. Plus when it comes to studying for your state exam you wont have to try to decipher all the crappy notes you scribbled down without paying attention ^_^

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Paper-Sch...emQQptZUS_Childrens_Books?hash=item414ad26ee7
9780316034432.jpg

Don't laugh... This Book ROCKS... it was this book (as well as a combination of Doctor McCoy and Doctor Crusher) that got me initially interested in Medcine and Biology back when Push Pops were all the rage... ^_^ Or, if you are must, find a good anatomy book and start there... you can never have enough anatomy...​

Mo, i already recomended this book. (as you recommended it to me a long time ago) As soon as i read this book it all made sense, and patients stopped dying all the time. Thank you blood and guts

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Mo, i already recomended this book. (as you recommended it to me a long time ago) As soon as i read this book it all made sense, and patients stopped dying all the time. Thank you blood and guts

Well, you know me... I am all about education... And this book is all ya need... ^_^

spiffy

Forum Probie
hi i am new here and i start my emt-b course in jan. I am a stay at home mom right now and i could prob use all the extra study time ahead of time. keep in mind i have not recieved by book yet. thanks for any help in advance
http://www.emtb.com/9e/login.cfm you don't have to buy the manuel itself but you can learn a lot from this page. but then again i'm not sure exactly where you are from and it varies from state to state it seems. I'm in the same boat as you tho... I just started a week ago. :)

spiffy

Forum Probie
Thank you very much melclin. I would like to add in my defense that my husban also works on the road mon-friday so during that time i am basicly a single parent. So this course is going to be very hard for me and all the extra study time will help a great deal. ( i was able to borrow some books from a emt in the area.)
Single mother, I'm feeling ya! If you figure it out, can you tell me how? :) I am a full time single mom of two kids under 5.. so if you can show me how you do it, I'll love ya for life ;)

OP
OP
N

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
Single mother, I'm feeling ya! If you figure it out, can you tell me how? :) I am a full time single mom of two kids under 5.. so if you can show me how you do it, I'll love ya for life ;)

unfortunatly my class was cancled due to not enough intrest so i am still studying and waiting till spring or summer when they try the class again in my area. With small kids it is just not possibale to drive 1 hour to class at night. as far as the kids and being a single mom during the week i have a wonderfull mother in law that i couldnt do without. if you want feel free to pm me

Silver_Lining

Forum Probie
Dont be nervous. You'll do just fine. You'll have it harder then some people in your class who don't have kids. You wont have as much opportunity to study/practice. You'll have other things on your mind. But when you are in class, be at class. Don't worry if the baby is being diapered right, the dishes are done and the trash was taken out. Wipe your mind clean, open it up to learn and absorb. When you schedule time to study. Study. Don't do the dishes or dust. Study. I was a stay at home mom for the last four years and I did extremely well in my EMT class despite several aggravating outside factors that should have slowed me down. If I could do it, you can do it too!! :)
I'm feeling more & more hopeful after reading how you and the 'Nicole' poster here are/were both stay at home moms (SAHMs).. I was & still am. However, now I'm going it alone, & am a full time parent. My son is only 1 (on 3/19) this year.

I'm struggling with how I'll be able to pull it all off, yet trying not to think too much on it..as I don't want to get psyched out.

I'm hoping to start classes this fall..possible some this summer.
I'm mainly nervous about the basic education reminder classes. I feel certain that once I get to the EMT part/s I'll do excellently.. sigh.

I am searching for other EMT/EMT student moms here who are also basically single. & how they manage classes/training & their kid/s? I really don't like the idea of day care At All.. so I'm hoping to see what other ideas are out there, or if campuses/training centers tend to have child watching facility on the same grounds. I can totally deal with that.
Also, anyone here not vax their kids?

hmm. I guess I should c&p this post & re-post it in a general topic starter thread. :p

-Crystal

OP
OP
N

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
I'm feeling more & more hopeful after reading how you and the 'Nicole' poster here are/were both stay at home moms (SAHMs).. I was & still am. However, now I'm going it alone, & am a full time parent. My son is only 1 (on 3/19) this year.

I'm struggling with how I'll be able to pull it all off, yet trying not to think too much on it..as I don't want to get psyched out.

I'm hoping to start classes this fall..possible some this summer.
I'm mainly nervous about the basic education reminder classes. I feel certain that once I get to the EMT part/s I'll do excellently.. sigh.

I am searching for other EMT/EMT student moms here who are also basically single. & how they manage classes/training & their kid/s? I really don't like the idea of day care At All.. so I'm hoping to see what other ideas are out there, or if campuses/training centers tend to have child watching facility on the same grounds. I can totally deal with that.
Also, anyone here not vax their kids?

hmm. I guess I should c&p this post & re-post it in a general topic starter thread. :p

-Crystal

In case you didnt see my class was cancled due to not enough intrest but i have started a first responder course last week and it seems to be going well. I am already three chapters ahead in the book. What i do is take it everywere i go and i do meen everywere. I read while i am siting in line waiting to pick son up from school, while my daughter is naping, while they are in gymnastics class. And of course for an hour or so after they are in bed. My advise is get a good suport staf around you ie family. We live with my mother in law so i am never alone. I do have a very good babysitter that comes to the house while i am at class so that the kids are in there own suroundings and are in bed on time. Since you have only one and he is realatively young i think you will do great.

Silver_Lining

Forum Probie
In case you didnt see my class was cancled due to not enough intrest but i have started a first responder course last week and it seems to be going well. I am already three chapters ahead in the book. What i do is take it everywere i go and i do meen everywere. I read while i am siting in line waiting to pick son up from school, while my daughter is naping, while they are in gymnastics class. And of course for an hour or so after they are in bed. My advise is get a good suport staf around you ie family. We live with my mother in law so i am never alone. I do have a very good babysitter that comes to the house while i am at class so that the kids are in there own suroundings and are in bed on time. Since you have only one and he is realatively young i think you will do great.
thanks!

yeah, its the family support I am struggling with sort-of.
I do live near two of my sisters..and I spend weeks on weeks off at my separated spouses apartment. so far he's not available for helping with Abraham (son.) and my two sisters: one already works full time, and the other is applying for a full timer.
I just have to figure out how to weedle him into some time they are willing to have a go at helping me. I've offered to pay them, I make very little when I clean apartments here. as peopel don't really move out often, & I only get $60 for eahc unit I clean. ..but that's not really a deciding factor for them. As they just want freedom. (understandibly so.)
Its also slightly tough, as I'm between these two places, without a real place to call home. it's ridiculous. lol. Nothing to complain entirely about, because I DO have these two places to go. its just tight all around. If separated spouse wasn't so inclined to resign all parenting duties on me, it maybe would be different, & he's be responsible for him while I go to classes/etc. *sigh.

Anywho.. Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry your courses were cancelled, but glad you were able to find that 1st responders course. :D Here's to you passing with flying colors! :D

-Crystal