"Is there a doctor on the plane?"

samiam

Amazing Member
Eh....my entire 2nd year class just took ACLS a month or so ago, and I'm honestly skeptical that we even have 100% who can really do CPR, nevermind provide advanced care the answer is yes...
I definitely agree even. I was specifically referring to providing guided care with a doc on the phone. Even with my previous ER experince I would not be comfortable on my own. I was also refering to people who have the mind to know what they can and cannot do and be confident in what they are doing. There are some 4th years at my school I would not let remove a splinter from my finger let alone provide any care. Lol

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
It is troubling that the med student did not ID himself as a med student not an MD to airline personnel before assuming authority over the pt. A med student missing an acute asthma dx and/or not using appropriate airline kit meds to rx and/or not calling for flight MD online assistance could have created a serious problem. but for the EMT's intervention, this patient could have been a lot worse off.in my state, medical students are not authorized to treat pts without a supervisory licensed MD present. as an EMT , I'd assume my certification in my home state would allow me to treat an emergency 'in the air' under med supervision from the airline MD online.