Intro and asking for tips for interview

Skirts

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone,

My (real) name is Ryan. I'm a female EMT-B from upstate NY. I just got my cert at the end of September. I don't currently have a job as an EMT but I have an interview on 12/29, so if anyone has any tips, they would be much apreciated.

If anyone cares, the story behind my screen name comes from there being two Ryans in my EMT class one male, and one female (me), so he was called Ryan Pants and I was called Ryan Skirts.

NorthCoastChick

Forum Probie
Not exactly EMS q's, but popular interview q's anyway

I don't know much about specific interview questions for ems'ers (as I'm going in for my own first interview soon!) but I did study management in college (business minor) and I'm sure some things are universal.

Most of the top 50 questions asked in interviews relate to how you see yourself, for example, are you a go-getter or do you need a lot of supervision to do your job.

Others relate to how valuable an asset you're going to be, this brings in the questions like: where do you see yourself in 5 years, or what are your weaknesses. The trick to these is to keep the answers vaguely specific, oxymoron I know, but stay with me. :p "In five years time, I see myself doing my job to the best of my abilities. I see myself learning how to work in this environment and actively working to make my workplace better every day." There are no specifics but you're not beating around the bushes either. If you hate the job for whatever reason and leave before the five years are up, it's not like you didn't give it a good go.

The "what are you weaknesses" question is a little more tricky. That's the one where you're supposed to flip your negative into a positive. Like: "I'm kind of a work-a-holic, but I know that a good work-life balance is essential in this job. I think working a lot now gives me a better foundation for those tough calls that are going to happen in the future, and I know I'll gain a better footing of how to leave work at work once I settle into this job."

Know yourself also, do you tend to get really nervous and shake during interviews? If so, make sure your foot isn't tapping, or your not jingling your keys in your pocket during the whole interview. I tend to talk really fast when I'm nervous, so I make sure I take a deep breath before answering any questions asked of me.

I hope these help at least a little! I'm in the same boat you are, waiting for that (successful) first interview!!

Hastings

Noobie
Here's one for you:

(Specific)

1. You're in an EMS system that posts trucks throughout the city in different locations according to how many are available. Another truck in your service takes a call and dispatch moves you to a post in the center of the city. The paramedic you're partnered with radios into dispatch and tells them he's on the way, but instead heads in the other direction, towards a restaurant 10 minutes away. What is your course of action?

(General)

2. Describe a situation in which you've had a disagreement with a coworker or a friend about how something should be done, and how you resolved it.

NorthCoastChick

Forum Probie
Here's one for you:

(General)

2. Describe a situation in which you've had a disagreement with a coworker or a friend about how something should be done, and how you resolved it.

Ones like this definitely, or even more uncomfortable, a supervisor or boss... ugh...

Sometimes about.com has interview tactics, I'm sure if you browse around on their website it'll land you on a bunch of good links for preparing. My professors were always really big on making sure you think out an answer before spitting out a reply. Taking the time to think about an answer may cause kind of an uncomfortable silence, but it's better than spitting out an answer that makes a totally wrong point.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Some questions I recall from my interview: 1) what does professionalism mean to you? 2) why is PR important in EMS? 3) what was your most memorable call? 4) describe a time you had a conflict with a coworker.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Hi Everyone,

My (real) name is Ryan. I'm a female EMT-B from upstate NY. I just got my cert at the end of September. I don't currently have a job as an EMT but I have an interview on 12/29, so if anyone has any tips, they would be much apreciated.

If anyone cares, the story behind my screen name comes from there being two Ryans in my EMT class one male, and one female (me), so he was called Ryan Pants and I was called Ryan Skirts.

Aside from the beuracratic process of an interview, know your protocols inside and out! Seriously, go into the interview knowing them. Interview aside, you shouldn't be working in the field without that knowledge, for the safety of the pt and your own job security. For whatever reason, many students (BLS and ALS alike) get their tickets not even knowing their states protocols.

Once you get past your interview, keep learning! Too many people just stop once they get their tickets. It's unfortunate and is one of the things that is retarding the progress of EMS.