interview at fire dept

Murzilka

Forum Ride Along
I JUST passed my EMT-B exam and I already have an interview today at a fire station to become a volunteer EMT. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to dress? Should it be business casual or can I wear nice dark jeans with a blouse?

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
It could go either way. When I interviewed with my department, I went with a business casual. Basically, a nice pair of dress pants and a polo type shirt. I got the job and am still there.
The key is to not overdress. If it were a full-time position, I would be wearing a suit and tie. For volunteer, that IMHO would be overkill. Just dress the way you think is appropriate since you know the area better than we do.

Good luck with the interview and I hope you get the position.

OP
OP
Murzilka

Murzilka

Forum Ride Along
It could go either way. When I interviewed with my department, I went with a business casual. Basically, a nice pair of dress pants and a polo type shirt. I got the job and am still there.
The key is to not overdress. If it were a full-time position, I would be wearing a suit and tie. For volunteer, that IMHO would be overkill. Just dress the way you think is appropriate since you know the area better than we do.

Good luck with the interview and I hope you get the position.

Thanks!!
I've been under an assumption that since you're giving your time for free there is a low chance of NOT getting the position. Is that true? I mean why would they deny someone who is not asking for money? LOL.

Also do you or anyone else have any interview tips? Like what kinds of questions do they ask and how they want you to answer them? Or anything else I should be aware of?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks!!
I've been under an assumption that since you're giving your time for free there is a low chance of NOT getting the position. Is that true? I mean why would they deny someone who is not asking for money? LOL.

Also do you or anyone else have any interview tips? Like what kinds of questions do they ask and how they want you to answer them? Or anything else I should be aware of?

Depends on your department. They might be giving you other things--I know of some that offer tuition reimbursement, exemption from certain taxes, and even health insurance--that make applications competitive. They might also be large enough to always have a full crew available, which makes fitting new people into the schedule inconvenient. Most aren't like that, though, so it's pretty easy to get in. Drug use and previous felonies are usually disqualifiers, though.

I'd recommend knowing your EMT stuff, and having a positive attitude about community service and all. If they offer training, I'd also be clear that I'll commit to giving them service in return.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Our department has very strict requirements. And, we have a difficult time filling positions because we have allianated our volly staff and are going to run ourselves out of business going the per-diem route :)

Wear something clean.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Murzilka

Murzilka

Forum Ride Along
Depends on your department. They might be giving you other things--I know of some that offer tuition reimbursement, exemption from certain taxes, and even health insurance--that make applications competitive. They might also be large enough to always have a full crew available, which makes fitting new people into the schedule inconvenient. Most aren't like that, though, so it's pretty easy to get in. Drug use and previous felonies are usually disqualifiers, though.

I'd recommend knowing your EMT stuff, and having a positive attitude about community service and all. If they offer training, I'd also be clear that I'll commit to giving them service in return.

Hmmm there are a TON of fire stations around here so if not this one then some other one will take me (hopefully) lol. The one I am trying for is just 5 min from my house, very convenient :D.

The only weak point about me would probably be the fact that I just finished the class and have no experience, but hopefully they won't care about that haha.

One more thing, if they ask why I want to volunteer, etc... can I tell them because I want to have a career in medicine and go to nursing school in 1 year? Or will they frown upon that? Of course I can always volunteer while in nursing school too...

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
** this is only a joke ***

Watch this video to get the upper end during the interview:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=60669&title=***-pennies

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
seriously, though

A position, paid or unpaid, in a popular organization, is always competitive.

Just be yourself, and show interest in the position.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks!!
I've been under an assumption that since you're giving your time for free there is a low chance of NOT getting the position. Is that true?

Very dependent on the area. Most volunteer Fire departments in my area do not have staffing issues and only run recruitment as needed. Factor in residency requirements and people looking for a leg up to get on with a paid FD in the future and it can be very competitive.

Even my student first aid team back in University had a max number of volunteers we were interested in having. We had plenty of people show up for the scenarios and interview expecting to get on just for showing up and then pad their resume. They usually were not accepted.

The college across town had big issues findings and keeping volunteers and would take pretty much everyone.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I know in my department, the opportunity to get an interview is few and far between. Then only time we interview is when we fall below 28 members (we are supposed to maintain 34).
When you go in to interview, someone else mentioned being yourself. That is KEY in my book. Go in there with a positive attitude and have a good reason of why you want to be on the department. If you are there because you want to help people with your new skills, you should fare well. If you are there to "pad" your resume and to boost your ego, that will show during the interview and they will sniff that our right away.
If you filled out an application, they will know you are fresh out of class with very little real experience.