Interested in volunteering (no license) in NYC....

emtnewbie

Forum Ride Along
particularly in Manhattan. Does anyone know who I can contact for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
EMS magazine did an series on the NYC*EMS vollie squads a little while back.

Try talking with the EMS council...and get see about getting CPR and First aid at least, if not getting into an EMT program.

If I may be so bold, how old are you?

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
This is the service I was thinking of, BRAVO Ambulance

List of Volunteer Ambulances in NYC and surrounding areas

index_19.gif

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Most of the places TTLWHKR listed are in the other boroughs (not Manhattan) but if you're from NY you'll know that. Hatzalah (or any spelling combination thereof) is a Jewish service, can't remember if it's Orthodox, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a Jew to vollie with them.

If you give me more information (your age, location within NY, etc) I can probably get you more specific information, I have friends in FDNY EMS and various hospitals (Lennox Hill, Jamaica, etc) who know all about that sort of stuff.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 7 2005, 03:21 PM
Most of the places TTLWHKR listed are in the other boroughs (not Manhattan) but if you're from NY you'll know that. Hatzalah (or any spelling combination thereof) is a Jewish service, can't remember if it's Orthodox, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a Jew to vollie with them.

If you give me more information (your age, location within NY, etc) I can probably get you more specific information, I have friends in FDNY EMS and various hospitals (Lennox Hill, Jamaica, etc) who know all about that sort of stuff.
I didn't read his post. I read the title of the post.

There is a link with a list of ambulances that are volunteer in that area, try that.

No promises.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 7 2005, 04:21 PM

Hatzalah is VERY Jewish.... Hassidic / Orthodox. In theroy, it is Magen David Adom in NYC...

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 7 2005, 01:21 PM

I just read an article about the Hatzalah organization here in LA, and checked out their website. You do need to be Jewish to be a member out here (assume NY is the same) because the purpose of the organization is to be able to respond in a way that doesn't violate any of the Orthodox beliefs, and they want Jewish responders who understand said beliefs.

We have a very large Orthodox/Hasidic community on the edge of Hollywood, which is the primary area Hatzalah serves here (though they also do special event work throughout LA). They work closely with LAFD and have a good working relationship from what I've heard.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 7 2005, 07:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 7 2005, 07:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Aug 7 2005, 04:21 PM

Hatzalah is VERY Jewish.... Hassidic / Orthodox. In theroy, it is Magen David Adom in NYC... [/b][/quote]
It is a who?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Aug 8 2005, 12:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Aug 8 2005, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 7 2005, 07:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@Aug 7 2005, 04:21 PM
Most of the places TTLWHKR listed are in the other boroughs (not Manhattan) but if you're from NY you'll know that.  Hatzalah (or any spelling combination thereof) is a Jewish service, can't remember if it's Orthodox, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a Jew to vollie with them.

Hatzalah is VERY Jewish.... Hassidic / Orthodox. In theroy, it is Magen David Adom in NYC...
It is a who? [/b][/quote]
Magen David Adom is hebrew for "Red star of David" - the equivalent of the "Red Cross" - MDA is the national ambulance of Israel...

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 8 2005, 07:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 8 2005, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 8 2005, 12:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
Most of the places TTLWHKR listed are in the other boroughs (not Manhattan) but if you're from NY you'll know that.  Hatzalah (or any spelling combination thereof) is a Jewish service, can't remember if it's Orthodox, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a Jew to vollie with them.

It is a who?
Magen David Adom is hebrew for "Red star of David" - the equivalent of the "Red Cross" - MDA is the national ambulance of Israel...

Jon [/b][/quote]
I thought they used the "Red Crescent" instead of the red cross or the star of life?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, hell, I can't find a picture of a Red Crescent Ambulance that isn't blown up, shot up, or wrecked.

I couldn't believe some of the photos of them. And I know why they get that way, some countries that are at war put radio intercepting devices, signal decoders, etc. equipment in the ambulances as a cover. WTF stops the enemy from mistakening a military communications vehicle from an ambulance with the injured?

Sick *******s.

Pardon my language, but that makes me sick, whom ever thought that idea up should be shot. :angry: The ambulance is probably the ONLY neutral object among any topic you can think of; wars, politics, etc. It's a place you look for to provide good, compassionate care and a safe zone. Using them as a ploy to deceive during a war has that train of thought shot all to hell, literally.

030425-D-6570C-011.jpg

030425-D-6570C-012.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Aug 8 2005, 09:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Aug 8 2005, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 8 2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 8 2005, 12:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt

It is a who?

Jon
I thought they used the "Red Crescent" instead of the red cross or the star of life? [/b][/quote]
No... Palestenian / Arab's use the red crescent.... Israeli's use the Red "Star of david"
MDA's Ambulances

Jon

firecoins

IFT Puppet
come up to rockland county to spring hill EMS =]

Or you can ride at Ramapo Valley instead.

Yes Hatzolah is an orthodox Jewish ambulance. The Crescent is an Islamic symbol which wouls never be found on Hatzolah. The Star of David, much like Jordan's little picture is the symbol on Hatzolah's ambulances. Spring Hill Ambulance corp in Rockland is an excellent corp with a high call volume who just happanes to work alot with Hatzolah.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
come up to rockland county to spring hill EMS =]

Shalom, Jordan. Hashem sheli Baruch. Ma nishma? Eifo ata gar? Ani gar b'Boston v'garti b'Yerushaliam. Eich haya hachag shelcha?

occipudding

Forum Probie
maybe im mistaken but from the title of this thread, im assuming the poster has no driver's license and wants to know what his/her options are. i am in the same situation so im curious to see what others have to say. can i hope to ride in back with the pts or should i just wait until i have a full driver's license? i should be going for my permit in a week or two and then im not sure how long i have to wait for the license in ny. im originally from jersey and im pretty sure that id have to wait 6 months there but ive heard its 2mos in ny. anyways, no license+want to start my volunteer=what are my options?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Shalom, Jordan. Hashem sheli Baruch. Ma nishma? Eifo ata gar? Ani gar b'Boston v'garti b'Yerushaliam. Eich haya hachag shelcha?

I cant get hebrew to work on these forums, so you are going to have to deal with my atrocious transliterations:
Shalom Baruch, shmi Daniel... Akshav anui gar be Tev Aviv, aval ha horim sheli gar b'boston. Acharai shavua, ani hitnadev eim MDA.

Occipudding, many ambulance services are looking for drivers, although wont want to hire a new driver. I reccomend you get CPR/AED/First Aid training, wauit until you get a full lisence, then take EVOC and skid school courses. As well, some services have junior member programs where you can learn the ropes before being old enough to hold certifications.

From what I understand, most regional Hatzolah programs rely on a few non-jews, essentially as shabbos goys-- to do the things that cannot be done by Jews when activities are restricted. One example: On the sabbath, members who are on duty carry pagers, and if a call comes in, they have to leave what they are doing to pick up the ambulance and respond. Because they cannot use electricity/fire/etc. until they get a call, often that means they are far away from a cold ambulance, sometimes on a frigid winter day. They sometimes hire (or ask for) a non-Jewish volunteer to stay with the ambulance, pick up members on the way to calls, and heep the engine on...

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
maybe im mistaken but from the title of this thread, im assuming the poster has no driver's license and wants to know what his/her options are. i am in the same situation so im curious to see what others have to say. can i hope to ride in back with the pts or should i just wait until i have a full driver's license? i should be going for my permit in a week or two and then im not sure how long i have to wait for the license in ny. im originally from jersey and im pretty sure that id have to wait 6 months there but ive heard its 2mos in ny. anyways, no license+want to start my volunteer=what are my options?

Here at Spring Hill EMS in Spring Valley, Rockland County, Hudson Valley, NY we don't care if somebody doesn't have a drivers license. All of our drivers are cleared EMT-Bs though. We have plenty of members who don't ever want to be a driver so they're just medical and ride in the back. It's preferred that we have a Driver/Medical, but not necessary. All you have to do to become a cleared member is be an NYS EMT-B and be off your six month probation (unless you're an employee and have worked 9-1-1 EMS for a few years then you can be hired, but you don't have a unit number, radio, nor the benefits of being a member.) In order to just start riding as an observer you just need to know CPR..

Last edited by a moderator:

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant

Ani Gar b'Seattle, aval ani lomed b'Monsey achshav b'Yeshiva. ha'Chag sheli tov meod, B"H, gam l'cha?