Interested in EMT

aidan

Forum Crew Member
Hello, I am taking an EMT-B certification course this Fall and was wondering exactly how easy or hard it is to get interviews/a job in the field once certified? Thanks!:wacko:

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Forum Crew Member
oh, I live in the southern california area too.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Getting interviews/jobs is kind of dependent on where in SoCal, what kind of company you want to work for, and the timing of when you get out of class. Class in fall, falls around the time when the paramedic classes complete, so, might be easier to fill the spots that they are opening to move up.

I just finished my class last night. Next step, registry!

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Forum Crew Member
Getting interviews/jobs is kind of dependent on where in SoCal, what kind of company you want to work for, and the timing of when you get out of class. Class in fall, falls around the time when the paramedic classes complete, so, might be easier to fill the spots that they are opening to move up.

I just finished my class last night. Next step, registry!

You're in Inland Empire? I am too.. Temecula, actually! Thanks for the help!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
my advice is EMT's are a dime a dozen...so if you really want to be considered for an interview then get some volunteer work when your finished with the program. second thing you should do is further your studies with A&P, IV, ECG anything that you can get your hands on to make you more desirable than any other EMT out there.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
so if you really want to be considered for an interview then get some volunteer work when your finished with the program. second thing you should do is further your studies with A&P, IV, ECG .

Pssst, Mikey, Southern California doesn't have volunteers with EMS, except *maybe* way out near the AZ/NV border. They also don't do expanded scope EMTs, that's limited to pretty much way out on the border, and also up north.

The best way to standout in SoCal is to know your stuff, and have good people skills.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
While we're on the So Cal topic, anyone know where I can take a combitube class? We don't use combitubes here in AZ and I might transfer to CA so I was just wondering.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, no? In SoCal, anything invasive is handled by the medic. Basic's don't tube, period.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Um, no? In SoCal, anything invasive is handled by the medic. Basic's don't tube, period.

Um, I was told by 2 medics and a basic with the Julian FD that I need the initial defib/combitube class plus the refresher once a month for a year....??

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, I was told by 2 medics and a basic with the Julian FD that I need the initial defib/combitube class plus the refresher once a month for a year....??

That's a department specific requirement then, and you'll need to ask them.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I was aware most ambulance companies in the greater San Diego area required them as well. The medic gave me numbers of many ambo companies and said they would require it as well. If you don't mind my asking, are you a basic student or a medic student?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Just finished basic class, waiting on registry. Where I am, north of greater SD, combi is not a basic skill. http://www.emsa.ca.gov/laws/files/FinalApprovedChapter3242007.pdf
That includes the scope of practice for EMT-I (one) what California considers a Basic. Page 12 talks about the OPTIONAL use, at the discretion of the agency, of a combi by a basic.
http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/ServiceCategoryDetails.asp?ServiceAreaID=39
San Diego County's EMS site, they'd probably be the best option as far as finding your class.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Pssst, Mikey, Southern California doesn't have volunteers with EMS, except *maybe* way out near the AZ/NV border. They also don't do expanded scope EMTs, that's limited to pretty much way out on the border, and also up north.

The best way to standout in SoCal is to know your stuff, and have good people skills.
well that is unpleasant to hear...is it because everyone is so sue happy out there or what? no combitubes either...wow.