Indy area operators

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I'm in the Indy area and will be finishing EMT class at Ivy Tech (Lawrence) and testing for my EMT-B in May.

In planning ahead to jobs after certification I'm curious if there are any other Indy locals who can comment on the pay rates and hours/schedules of some of the Indy area operators. I'm not going to ask "who's the best to work for" because I think that is entirely too subjective and vague.. so I'll instead just ask about pay rates and what the schedules are like. In particular, IEMS, Seals, Rural Metro, Care and AmeriCare.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Epi-do

I see dead people
You can count on not getting paid much over minimum wage as a basic working private service. As for potential schedules, it can vary widely from service to service, but typically anything from 8-12 hour shifts and any combination of days/times you can think of.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
the third service city ambulance is right at $13 an hour to start for basics. depends on what additional certs you may have.

edit: IEMS has predominantly 12 hour shifts with a few trucks 24 hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
the third service city ambulance is right at $13 an hour to start for basics. depends on what additional certs you may have.

edit: IEMS has predominantly 12 hour shifts with a few trucks 24 hour.

Actually, IEMS starts at less than 12/hr... I just hit my third year, and just broke 13/hr. That being said, that's better pay than just about any other service in the city.

I haven't worked at any private services other than Care, and that was several years ago, so I don't know any of the starting wages anymore. Also, most services only do 12s or less, very few 24's anywhere around Indy.