Independant filming

Kemmer Davis

Forum Ride Along
Now as a soon to be EMT, I'm assuming HIPAA into play in regards to this, But a little hobby of mine is filming, Photography, broadcasting / entertainment. I plan on getting more into creating videos etc once Im financially able again, but was curious as to filming while on the job? Im assuming that for example the EMS show on HBO has all pt sign forms / paperwork agreeing to allow there private info / face or what not to be broadcasted on live television. So Im assuming as a indie film maker would I have to apply the same thing? Also assuming EMS / Fire has policies as well in regards to filming. Just wanted to hear feedback on it, Would think it would be neat to have some 'life on the job ' etc or some humerous moments in the field,

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Look up the trailer for "black cloud" about ATCEMS.

Seriously doubt you would ever be able to while working. You're at work, do your job. Could be a side project though. No you can't show faces or show personal info. Should be able to if they sign a release form, since shows like "Nightwatch" show patients faces.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Try looking for a legal firm around you that can offer a free consult regarding this.

The difficulties will primarily lie with your employer. Creating a system that complies with privacy/insurance laws is usually a project in itself.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
If your filming is done while OFF DUTY then HIPAA does not apply.

However, if you're wanting to do it ON DUTY, you will need permission from your employer, and likely county or state EMSA. Also, as you stated there is the problem of conset.

In public, you do not need consent, however, whenever you move inside (including in an ambulance), the 'expectation of privacy' is created.
Now, that only applies to standard photographers. If on duty you still need consent, which can sometimes be handled by simply having an ethics committee agree, and post a notification in a public place, such as a newspaper for a length of time such as 30-90 days.

However, this is all hearsay and you should take no action until you have consulted proper legal council, and your employer. Chances are, they will say no.

There is plenty of opportunity to enjoy EMS and Photography together, legally. For more info, message me.

Experience: Private EMT & Photographer for 2 Fire Departments

21c04e7d5e2eb6cd64a9d0c626f2c340.jpg

Ruamkatanyu

Forum Probie
In Thailand there are no Hipaa laws or stuff like that so the volunteers who aren't handling gear or the patient will have their phones out filming and taking photos so they can be uploaded the Foundations FB page.

NorCalGuy66

Forum Ride Along
I just joined this forum, and had a similar question to that posed by the OP.

Am am an amateur photographer/videographer. I film all kinds of things, and will occasionally go to a fire/EMS call if it is nearby and seems interesting. I always film from a publicly accessible area. It is not uncommon for me to have police or EMT people approach me & claim that I am violating HIPPA by filming. I am pretty well versed in HIPPA, and all the information I have indicates that unless you are a "covered entity," "business associate" or "hybrid entity," HIPPA rules do not apply to you. Yet that does not seem to prevent cops and EMTs from claiming otherwise.

Does anyone have information which suggest that an independent photographer/videographer standing in a public place cannot record a scene (provided they are not interfering in any way)? Also, does anyone have any insight as to why police, fire and EMT personnel makes such claims? Is it lack of training/education, or are they simply trying intimidate and get rid of people filming?

Thanks in advance.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude

Am am an amateur photographer/videographer. I film all kinds of things, and will occasionally go to a fire/EMS call if it is nearby and seems interesting. I always film from a publicly accessible area. It is not uncommon for me to have police or EMT people approach me & claim that I am violating HIPPA by filming. I am pretty well versed in HIPPA, and all the information I have indicates that unless you are a "covered entity," "business associate" or "hybrid entity," HIPPA rules do not apply to you. Yet that does not seem to prevent cops and EMTs from claiming otherwise.

Does anyone have information which suggest that an independent photographer/videographer standing in a public place cannot record a scene (provided they are not interfering in any way)? Also, does anyone have any insight as to why police, fire and EMT personnel makes such claims? Is it lack of training/education, or are they simply trying intimidate and get rid of people filming?

Thanks in advance.
You claim to be well versed in HIPAA, but can't even spell the acronym correctly.

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

Thanks in advance.

Read my post above.

I am a commercial photographer and EMT. One of the things I do is Emergency Service Photography. I generally provide these images for free to my two local (City and County) fire departments, which they display on their Facebook pages and Instagram, as well as my own posting.

There are no laws that prohibit you from filming or photographing a scene if you are off duty, and on public property. Once you step on private property however, this is different. Its important to note that many places you wouldnt normally think of as 'private' actually are; for example parking lots. Technically, you can be told to leave a parking lot, and you would have to do so. The reason for being allowed to photograph in public, is because 1) you are not a covered entity under HIPAA, and 2) there is no expectation of privacy when in public. Its important to note that once the expectation of privacy is created (or what a reasonable person would assume creates an expectation of privacy), you may not photography. For example, you may NEVER open the back doors of an ambulance to gain information, even if its just verbal for an editorial. We have a stringer here that is known to do that. Even shooting into the back of an ambulance with its doors open is rude, although, not yet illegal.

As for why people are telling you that you are violating HIPAA, its probably a combination of them not being well educated on HIPAA, and them not wanting to be photographed. My coworkers all like it when they see me on scene, because they know I'm not going to show them in a bad light. However, if a peace officer (including some firefighters!) tell you to move, or leave the scene, you must do so. There are several reasons they can ask you to leave. Technically they arent supposed to forbid people from going places until it poses a safety or operational hazard, but that is loose language and is often left to the discretion of the IC. On scene is NEVER the place to argue media rights. Look at this recent incident where a "photographer" was arrested for refusing to leave the scene of a structure fire. Just because you have a camera, doesnt make you media, and media, and Joe Blow have different rights.

Also, as a professional courtesy, I never show patients' faces, even though I'm not bound by HIPAA.

If you want to photograph EMS/Fire, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people dont like it, but that's their problem, not yours. HOWEVER, there is a smart way to do it, and a stupid way. If you have questions, etc, feel free to message me.

https://www.facebook.com/TreySpoonerPhotography/

Attachments

• DSC_8743.jpg
    DSC_8743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • 24663102654_98fc3ae53d_z.jpg
    24663102654_98fc3ae53d_z.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 25720500592_b8b591f3ca_z.jpg
    25720500592_b8b591f3ca_z.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 205

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This type of thing is why I prefer to just do air medical photography instead of scene photography... but you do sum it up quite nicely, @NPO. Nice shots BTW!

Reactions: NPO