Incident Paging

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
Was wondering if anyone was familiar with incident paging services such as IPN or 1stresponder. I was thinking about subscribing to a service to receive incident updates in my area. IPN offers it pretty cheap, I believe $12 a month? I have a motorola 2-way T900, I'm thinking about using.

My question is, does it need to be activated with a carrier before I subscribe to IPN or will IPN activate it? It will only be used for incident paging services. Thanks for the help.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
you can either buy a pager from them or give them an existing text pager number. if you use their service for paging, it costs more but its still cheaper than getting pager service from one company and the incident paging service from 1rwn.

let me offer you one piece of advice: you get to pick IIRC 15 groups to subscribe to. very carefully consider what you pick. when i selected my groups, i figured "i'm paying for 15, im taking 15". i took all the mass groups, all the nyc groups and some other like breaking news, nws etc. the bloody pager never stopped, all day and all night. you have no idea how many incidents take place every day. its maddening.

i had it for about a year and would never even vaguely consider getting it again.

OP
OP
BlackOut

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
you can either buy a pager from them or give them an existing text pager number. if you use their service for paging, it costs more but its still cheaper than getting pager service from one company and the incident paging service from 1rwn.

let me offer you one piece of advice: you get to pick IIRC 15 groups to subscribe to. very carefully consider what you pick. when i selected my groups, i figured "i'm paying for 15, im taking 15". i took all the mass groups, all the nyc groups and some other like breaking news, nws etc. the bloody pager never stopped, all day and all night. you have no idea how many incidents take place every day. its maddening.

i had it for about a year and would never even vaguely consider getting it again.

Thanks for the help. So if I were to give IPN my pager number (unactivated) they would be able to activate it?, or does it already have to be currently activated by another carrier?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
you have to have pager service(sorry, though that went along with pager). you can get it from them or somebody else.