in the process of becoming an EMT

future_EMT

Forum Ride Along
im taking the basic EMT course this fall and will hopefully have a job by january. is there anything you guys can suggest to make this as smooth as possible? i mean for when i get the job, im going to try and learn as much as i can in school but i know that cant compare to on the job training so what would be the best advice for someone just starting out?

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
first of all....welcome and congrats. now you should take a&p 1 and 2, pharmacology, and microbiology, then go to medic school. a lot of people on here believe that you should go straight to medic school after emt, but then again some believe you should get some experience first. i think experience is good to get, but you will pick up bad habits.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
im taking the basic EMT course this fall and will hopefully have a job by january. is there anything you guys can suggest to make this as smooth as possible? i mean for when i get the job, im going to try and learn as much as i can in school but i know that cant compare to on the job training so what would be the best advice for someone just starting out?

It'll all happen with dedicated work and a desire to be a good EMT. While you're on the path, there are a few college level coursees you could consider in the near future. A/P for healthcare workers (minimum), Mecical Terminology and if you can find one, a phrmacology for healthcare workers (minimum).

I have yet to see a student struggle in a Paramedic course with these under his/her belt.

OP
OP
F

future_EMT

Forum Ride Along
what kind of bad habits? one of the reasons i was going to start working instead of just going straight to paramedic was to help pay for school. A&P is defiantly a course i want to take after i get my cert.

but what are some rookie mistakes to look out for? i really want to turn this into a life long career and do not want to start off on a bad foot.

also, are there any liabilities when working as an emt? if i make a mistake and someone gets (more) injured how open am i for a lawsuit?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Future,

Bad habits are something you have to figure out for yourself. No one can instill values within another. As an IC for example, I refuse to allow students to refer to me by my first name..I think it starts a bad habit they'll carry over into their job later on. Uniforms are a must as they instill a sense of pride and reflect the ability to follow simple rules.
Taking care in the little things will lead to positive habits throughout your career in other words. Education begins from the bottom up. Good Luck!

Other than the obvious standard of care, once you have earned your license, focus on being professional in every way from how you address your continued education to how you greet and treat every patient in your care.

PS: Don't forget to have a little fun while you're out there and keep a sense of humor about you. You will do well.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Future,

Bad habits are something you have to figure out for yourself. No one can instill values within another. As an IC for example, I refuse to allow students to refer to me by my first name..I think it starts a bad habit they'll carry over into their job later on. Uniforms are a must as they instill a sense of pride and reflect the ability to follow simple rules.
Taking care in the little things will lead to positive habits throughout your career in other words. Education begins from the bottom up. Good Luck!

Other than the obvious standard of care, once you have earned your license, focus on being professional in every way from how you address your continued education to how you greet and treat every patient in your care.

PS: Don't forget to have a little fun while you're out there and keep a sense of humor about you. You will do well.

So explain how calling you by your first name is going to affect patient care. No offense just had a medic do that to me when I first started. I call him everything else besides his last name.

Shell62

Forum Ride Along
Good question! I'm a new EMT and hadn't had any hands on experience besides in class, so your concerns are fresh in my head. You'll need to be a good driver, believe me you don't want to be throwing around your medic and patient, it's already bumpy enough and they'll appreciate the smoothness. Those rigs are big and heavy! Also be good at backing (start practicing in your own car if you don't back normally). Take advantage in class of the hands on activities concerning, o2 tanks, c-spine, bvm, etc. You won't want to be fumbling with these things on a call. There is much to learn on the job so be prepared to listen and learn and you should do fine. Most likely your TOs remember what its like to be new and are usually pretty good about thorough training. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

future_EMT

Forum Ride Along
oh yea that was another question i forgot to ask. how likely is it that im going to get stuck driving, since im new and dont have any experience treating patients? i would rather not but i would understand if thats what i was ordered to do.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
oh yea that was another question i forgot to ask. how likely is it that im going to get stuck driving, since im new and dont have any experience treating patients? i would rather not but i would understand if thats what i was ordered to do.

Most likely you will 3rd ride. I had to 3rd ride for three days and all three days every patient was mine unless if it was a ALS patient. They well make sure you are familiar with the paper work and patient care and equipment use before they release you. After that then you will be driving and taking turns with patients.

Shell62

Forum Ride Along
If you're working on an ALS rig you'll probably be doing a lot of the driving (my experience). Seems that most of my calls are ALS so I'm in charge of driving, radio, and the gurney. If a BLS call comes along your medic will be happy to let you attend. These patients will often be someone who falls with a fairly minor injury or a scheduled transfer. Get good at taking BPs now, it can be difficult in the back. Feel free to get me on chat or email if you have more questions :)

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Just be confident and you will do fine. Never be afraid to ask question. Remember the patient always comes first, even before your pride and dignity. Have fun and i wish you the best!

k8ek8e

Forum Probie
If you have any local volunteer department, talk with them and see if they'd be willing to train you as a driver. Mine does so long as you're current on your shots and trained in CPR/AED. I found it helpful to be on a real scene as an observer. Just remember to stay out of the way, pay attention, and do only what you're told to do.

Take advantage of every hands on activity in class and practice, practice, practice!

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Welcome to the site! Good luck with class. Remember to ask lots of questions, study, take advantage of any resource you're able, study, do the extra credit and study!

Also, don't be too surprised if you don't have a job right out of school. I'm finding out how "cold" it is out there right now. You may want to consider doing some volunteer work until you land a job (or even keep doing it on the side if your schedule will allow). Also, go to medic school asap. I would have gone this fall had my finances worked out (and I still need a couple of pre-req. classes but that's another story). Good luck!

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member

Heya, I'm kinda in the same boat, I'm starting my EMT-Basic course next week. I'm also going to be taking Human Anatomy & Physiology course too...I've heard that this would be pretty helpful...I imagine volunteering and 'riding along' as much as you can't definitely will help as well!