I'm failing!!

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm faling my iv-tech class.
I cant go to help from anyone on my squad because they always look at me like "Why dont you understand this?" and make me feel like I'm wasting their time.

So I need some help. Beause I can't afford to pay for this class if I fail. And theres no reason for me to fail. I passed my basic class with a B. No reason... :(

OP
OP
Phridae

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow. I wasnt aware that I had posted 70 times. Now, that number is small to most of you. But I really didn't think I had posted that much. Hm. :blink:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
What do you need help with? I'm sure the lot of us here can help you out.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Mar 4 2005, 01:42 AM
What do you need help with? I'm sure the lot of us here can help you out.
Yes - tell us, we will try to help.

Is it that you can't actually preform the psychomotor skill (sticking the patient) or do you have a knowledge issue? We can probaly help more with the later, but I think we'd try either way.

Jon

Summit

Critical Crazy
I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

I think there was an "IV Therapy for Dummies" (you know those yellow Dummies series books) at Borders the other day

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
well if you need help, you came to the right place. I'm sure with the vast range of people here and the diffrent skills they all have, someone can help you out. If it's the actual act of sticking the pt, send me a pm. I actually teach all IV, airway, ACLS, PALS and all BLS stations to our local medic class.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well since you all are so willing to help :) I'll chime in with a little problem I had...

Intoxicated pt came in while I was doing my ER clinicals. Nurses liked me & thought I had a handle on what I was doing, and since the guy was so out of it decided I could try drawing some blood from him. Sooo..I had one problem & one question...

#1. He was african-american, I had the damndest time finding his veins. Any tips?

#2. As I grabbed the basket to draw his blood, the nurse said to me, "Well, at least you know he's well hydrated"... Now if I remember correctly alcohol is more of a diuretic?

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
I wish I could help more on this one but I can't. I can't even watch them stick a pt. let alone doing it myself... sorry!!

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by Wingnut@Mar 4 2005, 10:11 PM
Well since you all are so willing to help :) I'll chime in with a little problem I had...

Intoxicated pt came in while I was doing my ER clinicals. Nurses liked me & thought I had a handle on what I was doing, and since the guy was so out of it decided I could try drawing some blood from him. Sooo..I had one problem & one question...

#1. He was african-american, I had the damndest time finding his veins. Any tips?

#2. As I grabbed the basket to draw his blood, the nurse said to me, "Well, at least you know he's well hydrated"... Now if I remember correctly alcohol is more of a diuretic?
Alchohol dehyrates you unless you counter with lots of extra fluid intake (which is why drinking a lot of water while drinking reduces hangovers).

I've heard several tips for African America vein finding.
1. Good tourniquet, proper arm placement, get htem to pump their hand & forearm to pump up their veins, flick the vein area as well.
2. Palp for the vein with your finger. You don't have to see the vein to hit it. Feel and see with your mind. (Harder than it sounds at first, then easier).
3. I've been told that provadone iodine swabs or betadine makes their veins stand out.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Mar 5 2005, 12:51 PM
I've been told that provadone iodine swabs or betadine makes their veins stand out.
They do.

I still can't hit them to save my life, though :angry:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitly remember that. I've drawn blood before, but only on animals, and it was MUCH easier.