I'm Batman...

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
from the posts here, I think what we really need is to bring back ambulance drivers. 2 guys and a hearse. NOt for emergency service so much as for routine transports. It would save money, no need to pay for all the overhead of a "medium duty" truck and EMT's or Medics.

It would make the pay equal to the responsibility. (lift assist and cab driver)

It would reduce the amount of EMTs needed for routine transfers.

Would that also solve the problems of "patient" needs as well as reduce the overglamorization of the EMT?

Would it force EMS providers to seek out more education because actual "Emergency and Medical" jobs would be more competative?

Look forward to your opinions. Game on!
I think I have a new hero. :p If you ever do become a medical director or get involved in EMS as a doctor, remember that. Please, please, please remember that.

Doing the above won't solve the problem; the issues we face are way to big for any one thing to fix it. But it would help. EMT's would have less "need" to be mass-produced, those who entered the field would only be working in the type of environment in which they (right or wrong) are supposed to function, people would not get burned out/disgusted with being put into a role in which they are not trained and have no interest, since there would be less demand for EMT's I think you're right and the competition for jobs/spots in a class would be higher which would hopefully lead to a higher quality of person getting in. And, I think the extra exposure to medicine would hopefully lead to the realization that more knowledge is needed. Of course, that hasn't worked out so far, but I can still hope.

It won't solve the overglamorization of EMS; really it's on overglamorization of medicine, not EMS in particular. That's a problem that, unfortunately does not have a very good, workable solution.

It's a start, and, it might actually be closer to a reality than people think. The gov't is starting to crack down pretty hard on medicare fraud. I'd be curious if, as time goes on, services that are using EMT's for run of the mill non-emergency transfers (uncomplicated dialysis, MD's appointments, physical therapy, routine hospital discharges and the like) start getting less and less of their bill paid, and/or charged with fraud, since a medically trained person isn't really necessary in the majority of cases.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you think EMS as a profession has gotten to a point where for some reason it is unable to sufficently weed out those who should not be in it?
No. It's not that we've reached that point; it's still very much possible to do it. It's that nobody is willing to do it, and more importantly, create the appropriate national set-up so that it was possible to effectively and appropriately do that.