IL: EMT-B personal oxygen tank

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone, I just registered here to get a little guidance about carrying personal equipment in the car. I was wondering if we can carry oxygen tanks in the trunk or something like that. Im planning to get a jump kit and thought i would also grab a tank like a size D or something.

I work for a private company so in our station we have a tank filling port, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Just wondering if I would be able to carry a tank?

This is for illinois which has a pretty low scope of practice, so I just want to clarify.

Thanks everyone!

Regardless of the safety precautions and everyone giving you crap for having the ricky rescue mindset... If you were to put the O2 tank in your vehicle your masks are going to ether expire or your going to have to Hydro your tank many times before you actually use it. I had a trauma bag when I first became a EMT and I'm sure everything is dried out and expired 10 fold. The reality is that your going to drive by an accident, see everyone moving fine and move on. If you don't see someone moving and looks like there injured your going to pull over and ask whatever bystander stopped before you if they dialed 911 get the yes answer and move on.

The one day I do have to use my trauma bag I'll just improvise with dried out expired equipment. All works the same, more or less.

Don't feel bad for asking. That's what we're here for. Some people just like to try to show off their egos. We've all been new at one time or another. Keep a good first aid kit in the car, CPR mask and a mag light. You'll be fine.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
And what absolutely life saving heroics per-say will you need this oxygen tank to perform?

Most of our patients don't even need oxygen.

Many of us had that mentality at one point. My POV used to have all the buff lights and all that when I was younger. You come to realize pretty quickly its all worthless. Not once have I had to stop at the scene of an MVA I was passing or anything for that matter. Actually I'm lying, I gave a rollerblader a band-aid once.

I have an issued bag in my vehicle I occasionally use when I take the flycar home, thats about it.

Maintaining expiration dates alone is a complete PIA.

If it wasn't issued to me, no chance in hell id bother keeping it in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

18G

Paramedic
There was a time (yes admitting to being infected with whacker syndrome in the mid-late 90's) I carried a D cylinder in my vehicle and used it quite a few times on dispatched calls.

We were mainly volunteer and supplemented with paid staffing. Many times the ambulance would respond single provider and I would meet them on-scene for staffing. So in these cases, I got onscene first and if needed could provide oxygen. We operated our own repeater system so I had direct contact with the station and responding unit.

I used my own bottle on a priority 1 MVC patient I came up on while driving to work one morning. Kid was being asphyxiated by the seatbelt in his mangled car. So had to do the whole OPA, BVM and oxygen thing.

I wouldn't recommend it now especially with the evidence pertaining to oxygen therapy. And it did concern me with having an unsecured gas bottle under high pressure in my vehicle.

As others have said, not a good idea unless some kind of unique circumstance. In my case, my Chief supported it and was aware and would exchange the bottle for me if needed. An AED would be much more beneficial if you really want to carry something to make a difference. Not sure if you would be allowed to or not in your state and $$$ is definitely a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
For the love of sweet jehosaphat not the "get an aed" thing again!:rofl:

How about a nice fire extinguisher? OR a parrot?
dead-parrot.jpg