IFT transport for sexual behavior

vc85

Forum Crew Member
When I was dispatching we had one facility in particular who called us twice for transport because their patients were displaying sexual behavior towards staff members. This was at a regular nursing home, although I don't know if these patents were dementia patients or not. Bascially the facility told us "There is no medical complaint, the boss just wants him out of here"

We accepted the transport, but would your agency have? or would that have been a police matter.

MedicSchrute

Forum Ride Along
Honestly, where I work it would've definitely been a police matter. Basically I can see our crew getting on scene and declaring a "No patient found" situation.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
We would transport the patient to the ER and an hour later, transport the patient back.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
A hour later? we had hospitals that would send the patient back without ever taking them off our cot.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
A hour later? we had hospitals that would send the patient back without ever taking them off our cot.

Depends on the triage nurse .

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
This is just one of those times where, even if your company accepts the transfer, you should use your good judgement and determine that these people are trying to turf a problem patient to get them out of their hair for a while rather than really addressing the problem. If the patient doesn't have dementia or some kind of behavioral disorder that might explain their behavior, then it should really be a matter for law enforcement.

On a side note, sexual behavior and sexual assault is not uncommon in assisted living and nursing facilities. If that guy is harassing the staff members, there's a good chance he's harassing (or worse) other patients at the facility.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I really think this patient depends on the situation. If he is oriented and completely with it, maybe a police manner, maybe just ignore the old man, lol. If he/she is not it might be a medical issue (especially if he/she normally is). Altered Mental Status is a valid medical complaint for transport. Also, in the IFT world returning the patient an hour later is usually no big deal, as its an extra transport and payment.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Is it a medical matter? Or behavioral? Is the pt competent?

If the pt says yes and the SNF says yes and is paying, I don't see the issue unless you want to talk about fraud, waste and abuse. Someone's paying for that trip.

If the pt says no and is competent, I wonder who is responsible, the SNF or the carrier? I really don't know.

I can hear it now. "If you don't straighten up*, I'm calling the ambulance!".

(*edit: pun unintended).

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Is it a medical matter? Or behavioral? Is the pt competent?

If the pt says yes and the SNF says yes and is paying, I don't see the issue unless you want to talk about fraud, waste and abuse. Someone's paying for that trip.

If the pt says no and is competent, I wonder who is responsible, the SNF or the carrier? I really don't know.

I can hear it now. "If you don't straighten up*, I'm calling the ambulance!".

(*edit: pun unintended).

One of the local facilities I provide services to has a section of patients that are pretty much all there. Just can't live on their own kinda like a assisted living thing. Nurses try to kick them out when they don't play well. I couldn't tell you how many times I have walked out of there with a refusal in hand.

I straight up tell the nurse, He/she is conscious alert and oriented. understands his or her risks and rights to refuse and possesses the capacity to refuse there is no way I can make them go.

I had to do a rotation of Mental Health while in school, and they sent me to a Geri Psych unit. The nurse there was telling me that they get patients all the time that nursing homes kick out and tell them they don't want them back for various behaviors or violence towards staff, They sit and wilt there for months until they can find a new place for them to go.