'Idiot' stole keys from ambulance!

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Ok how many of you leave the ambulance running at a job???
It is quite common here in New Zealand. Not so common that the ambulances are stolen.
They don't get too far away with the tracking devices on the trucks anyway!

In this case 'Joe Bloggs' thought taking the keys would be a fun idea.:ph34r:
I'm sure they wouldn't think it so amusing if it was their loved one needing to be transported.<_<

Story as attached: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3947665/Idiot-stole-keys-from-ambulance

Cheers Enjoynz

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We had a unit sitting posted once with the medic in the back, reading a book. She felt the truck pull out, looked up to see what her partner was doing, and saw that it was just a guy.

He took her on a high-speed pursuit, then was apprehended.

The city put devices in the trucks that allowed the units to idle without the key in the ignition after that, and shut the unit down if the brake was applied without the key in the ignition.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
The city put devices in the trucks that allowed the units to idle without the key in the ignition after that, and shut the unit down if the brake was applied without the key in the ignition.

Yeah, we have them too. Works wonders, especially on those really hot\really cold days. But I guess it takes all kinds of people to steal an ambulance.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We have anti-theft devices on all the trucks (key out system). We're required to leave our trucks running most of the time on scene or stopped outside of a station or hospital to keep the drugs temperature controlled. Especially with the throbolytic kits (clinical trial) which are very expensive to replace.

I always lock the truck when not in it. Though we do have idiot buttons hidden on the front of all of the trucks and a second set of keys inside... just in case.