Ice Hockey Detail

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
I have my first ice hockey detail coming up. I was told that the team doctor handles a lot of the injuries and we are there mostly as BLS transport. I'm wondering if anyone has had to handle retrieving a patient from the ice? With boots that ice is wicked slippery. Carrying someone off on a backboard seems nuts to me. I would maybe slide it. Any thoughts or ideas?

emtskibum

Forum Probie
I am a Athletic Training Student as well as a EMT and last year i covered my school's D1 Hockey team. I had to spine board a athlete at RIT last year on the ice as well. If you are covering a game that is high school and above, there should be a AT there, College and above will have multiple AT's and team docs. The AT's and Docs handle basically anything that happens on and off the ice regarding the players. However, if a trauma or C-spine injury were to occur thats when you would need to enter the playing surface. beginning of the periods the ice is slick, but gains traction as it progresses. As long as you are deliberate with you footing, walking on the ice isn't hard to accomplish, just do not rush yourself. As far as spine boarding, have extra hands to help prevent the board from sliding with the athlete. If you need to reposition the athlete, have a ref or player put their skate next to the board to use as a brake. As far as walking with the spine board, bring the stretcher out with you, and just roll it off.

If you have any more hockey related questions feel free to shoot me a pm

OP
OP
micsaver

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
It will be college ice hockey. So are we to wait until we are hailed by the team doc? I don't want to be stepping on someones toes. Do you mean bring the stretcher on the ice?? or board them, carry them off the ice and THEN place them on the stretcher.

Gee I'm glad that this forum exsists so I can ask all kinds of questions. Unfortunately my company doesn't do much training for newbes.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
"wicked" is sooooo Massachusetts. Wicked pissah dude. :p How about the spanking the Pats gave Denver last night!!!!

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Put them on the stretcher on the ice...carrying a boarded patient from the ice is just asking for trouble. Keep the stetcher low too, raise it AFTER you are off the ice. Good luck.

OP
OP
micsaver

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
LOL! really, "wicked" is a MA term. I'm from western MA....ya the other half of the state. So I don't say "pissah" :)

OP
OP
micsaver

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
Thanks!! last thing I want to do is slip and bust my butt while trying to get a pt off the ice. Especially if it's a televised game.

emtskibum

Forum Probie
It will be college ice hockey. So are we to wait until we are hailed by the team doc? I don't want to be stepping on someones toes. Do you mean bring the stretcher on the ice?? or board them, carry them off the ice and THEN place them on the stretcher.

Gee I'm glad that this forum exsists so I can ask all kinds of questions. Unfortunately my company doesn't do much training for newbes.

When you arrive seek out the home teams Sports Medicine staff and introduce yourself, ask where is a good place to situate yourself with you gear, aka stretcher w/ jump kit and board and collar. it will usually be near a gate to the ice and door to your bus. They will signal you onto the ice if needed, and yes bring the stretcher onto the ice to spine board. we brought the stretcher right to our athletes side and just transferred him right onto it and rolled him off.

OP
OP
micsaver

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
I work western & central MA. I will be doing Holy Cross Ice hockey the next couple of weeks.

emtskibum

Forum Probie
haha thats funny, they are in the same league as my school, Sacred Heart, and I have covered games there. Its a nice rink, with some good food if i remember correctly. Their Hockey AT is a good guy as well. Enjoy it.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
I once had to go out onto the ice for the goalie. His MOI suggested C-Spine and upon arrival he stated he couldn't breathe. So we had to realign his head, strip off his gear, package him, and carry him off the ice.. all within a few minutes of the second period starting. Very slippery and hard to do.
I guess the most important thing is don't rush, and enjoy!

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Once you have the player stabilized on the stretcher take off their skates. They are razor sharp. As many players are quite tall the person at the foot of the stretcher can have the skates pushing into their chest. Far better to cut off the laces. Most of the rest of their equipment is held on by velcro and is relatively easy to remove.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This is good ice lore with winter coming on.

Never covered hockey. Think they'd let you strew some sand along your path out?:glare:
I'm interested in the sort of injuries they get or avoid. My ice victims were mostly hips and hearts and broadside slides.

emtskibum

Forum Probie
Never covered hockey. Think they'd let you strew some sand along your path out?:glare:
I'm interested in the sort of injuries they get or avoid. My ice victims were mostly hips and hearts and broadside slides.

Hockey injuries come in a variety of types. Over one season iv treated separated shoulders, Subluxed Shoulders, Labrum Tears, high Ankle sprains, multiple finger and hand injuries, a few sutures to the face arms and foot, Elbow UCL Tear, and muscle strains.

You of course have your blunt trauma, broken bones, etc, and the ever so looming "Oh :censored::censored::censored::censored:" Aka the skate to the neck.

sethking

Forum Ride Along
i work as an emt in maine and i have had to get a patient off on a backboard, it is not that hard after a few steps and you know how to manuver yourself. then again everyone up here gets some type of specialty snow boots so that makes it easier too... good luck

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
haha thats funny, they are in the same league as my school, Sacred Heart, and I have covered games there. Its a nice rink, with some good food if i remember correctly. Their Hockey AT is a good guy as well. Enjoy it.

So you have the infamous Canadian recruits team (Im from down in ffld county). I recall a guy named bear trapp on the team lol. I'm doing my first hockey game standby on friday with BC (NCAA champs).

I remember someone getting their clothes frozen to the ice once, not easy to get up with out warm water. When walking don't act over confident, that is when you will slip. Walk slowly and plant your steps with precision.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtskibum

Forum Probie
So you have the infamous Canadian recruits team (Im from down in ffld county). I recall a guy named bear trapp on the team lol. I'm doing my first hockey game standby on friday with BC (NCAA champs).

I remember someone getting their clothes frozen to the ice once, not easy to get up with out warm water. When walking don't act over confident, that is when you will slip. Walk slowly and plant your steps with precision.

Haha, yup good ole Bear. He's a Senior this year. I was saying "eh" at the end of my sentences by the end of the season with all of the Canadians on the team. It still pops out from time to time as well