I Want to be a Paramedic/Suggestions for which BA/BS to go for?

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I'll throw out what I'm doing at the moment:
OSU Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a specialty in Environmental Public Health.

It's about things like, how does flushing drugs down the toilet affect the water supply and the people who use it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
OSU Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a specialty in Environmental Public Health.

Actually what I'm doing as well. Public Health, but still undecided on Epi or Stats

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

It's about things like, how does flushing drugs down the toilet affect the water supply and the people who use it.

Actually what I'm doing as well. Public Health, but still undecided on Epi or Stats

LOL, and I to am looking into public health. I have been considering an MPH for some time now, but still have not decided for sure.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
One should major in what one is interested.

This is my advice to just about any undergraduate. You'll probably need post-graduate work for almost any field to get a job anyway, including engineering.

Might as well do your undergrad in something you'll enjoy!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
LOL, and I to am looking into public health. I have been considering an MPH for some time now, but still have not decided for sure.

The university here has a dual MPH/MBA degree that I am strongly considering.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The university here has a dual MPH/MBA degree that I am strongly considering.
That is pretty cool, are you considering getting into policy or administration? I was looking more into research or education for mine. Honestly I would probably still work as a field level provider in EMS for a while, even with a masters. I do see MPH's offered along with other things, such as PA, MD, MBA, ect...
I am not going to decide on it until I take my statistics class next semester lol, since epidemiology is a huge cornerstone of everyone of those MPH programs.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That is pretty cool, are you considering getting into policy or administration? I was looking more into research or education for mine. Honestly I would probably still work as a field level provider in EMS for a while, even with a masters. I do see MPH's offered along with other things, such as PA, MD, MBA, ect...
I am not going to decide on it until I take my statistics class next semester lol, since epidemiology is a huge cornerstone of everyone of those MPH programs.

I was initially hoping to go to med school, but some recent changes have made me start considering other options. If I don't go to med school, policy and administration is my most likely avenue. The department I'm currently with has plenty of room for advancement, and the opportunity to make a lot of high-level connections/networking for once I retire.

Luckily, there are plenty of part-time options around here to continue working in the field once I start promoting to higher ranks :)

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
You can go to med or PA school with any bachelors degree, as long as you complete the pre reqs. You can major in econ and minor in bio or chem, or vice versa. You can major in music if you'd like.

It's just less of a hassle if you make it your major. But yeah you can do whatever you want. It's just the med school prereqs are changing this year to include even more courses, so it's harder to squeeze in a different major, a minor, prereqs, plus any electives you want to take.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
It's just less of a hassle if you make it your major. But yeah you can do whatever you want. It's just the med school prereqs are changing this year to include even more courses, so it's harder to squeeze in a different major, a minor, prereqs, plus any electives you want to take.

IIRC, it's only intro to psych, sociology, and social psychology, which are gen ed requirements for several degree paths anyhow.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
And biochem, though I don't know if they're throwing out organic 2. I'm slipping under the radar, I take the MCAT in May.
I brought it up because I was an econ major, and I have to come back to finish my science prerequisites... So while I'm kicking myself for not taking them the first time around, I think it would have been tough to squeeze in everything + volunteering + getting my fire / EMS certs while stilling getting As. But all of this is only relevant if you think you want to go premed.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
And biochem, though I don't know if they're throwing out organic 2. I'm slipping under the radar, I take the MCAT in May.
I brought it up because I was an econ major, and I have to come back to finish my science prerequisites... So while I'm kicking myself for not taking them the first time around, I think it would have been tough to squeeze in everything + volunteering + getting my fire / EMS certs while stilling getting As. But all of this is only relevant if you think you want to go premed.

Someone told me psychics was dropping off the mcat and maybe no longer a prereq, any truth to that?

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Someone told me psychics was dropping off the mcat and maybe no longer a prereq, any truth to that?

I'm pretty sure physics will (unfortunately) remain.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/266006/data/2015previewguide.pdf

On page 6 of the document:
"The Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems and the Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems sections are designed to:

 test introductory-level biology, organic and inorganic chemistry, and physics concepts..."

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
Haha fair enough ;)

UT Health Science Center in San Antonio has an online BS in Emergency Health Sciences as well.
I am considering this degree. But, its not like one would get paid more or anything..still a paramedic. But, my reasoning behind pursuing this degree is that it is interesting,has a flight class, should be able to get my ccemt p cert, have a edge over other candidates when applying for jobs. Also, using the electives to have a med school option just in case.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
I second the thought of just doing whatever you enjoy. For most anything you'll need a master's degree, so just enjoy your college experience. Take an anatomy class and that be more than enough to prepare you for EMS .

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
IMO, yes psychology would be good knowledge to have, but I feel like that could be attainable through patient experiences and even online sources or books like biographies. If you really want to help and understand people I think criminal justice or human culutre would be really beneficial tools.

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
Also, communication! Look into therapeutic commincation

I highly recommend these books:
How to win friends and influence people

People care

The four agreements

Hope this helps

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Verbal first aid

Also an interesting read.