I start school soon any advice????

TMcCord

Forum Ride Along
I start school on the 23rd and its a fast track course for my EMT. Its only 2 months long. Im so nervous so any and all advice is welcomed.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Study, study, study then study some more. Its not that hard believe it or not, good luck.

Ramis46

Forum Crew Member
Really try and study in short burst. and then have short breaks. That way you get a chance to retain some of the information. And if you get a chance to have a study group/partner take it. Every on can learn a little from each other, not to mention if you get the opportunity to teach thats the best way to learn.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Read the material before class, and review the material within 24 hours after class.*

*This method is approved by silver, but greatly under used because I'm lazy.

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
I am starting class tonight (after 4 separate days of ride-a-longs with a local agency) ... and although the two are separate, I am hoping they merge soon (the agency needs to vote on me at their meeting and after reference checks, etc) :)

Good luck in class to the OP! I've got some serious nerves right now (but I enjoyed the ride-a-longs and didn't have these same nerves). I hope it will all go away once I am in that classroom.

Deep breaths ....

Last edited by a moderator:

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Had a great class. Fast-paced ... no time for nerves. Exciting and motivating. OP, we did not have uniforms or anything like that. We are expected to look professional and act professional. When we do our Clinical experience in the ER ... business dress.

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure how tough your instructor will be on practicals, but ours was cut-throat. (pun intended)

In our class, if you failed, you failed. The pass rate was less than 50% in the class. Because the toughest practical (for us, at least) was patient assessment (both trauma and medical), we organized and held "palp parties". I would greatly suggest you do the same to hammer down your skills.

Good luck!

OP
OP
T

TMcCord

Forum Ride Along
We have uniforms but they will tell us more about all that on the first day. Do yall reccomend any learning material like book or website that I can study on my own or get help with if I'm having trouble? I know this is going to be a very very fast paste class seeing how its only 6 weeks long and 4 days a week. So I know I'm defiantly in for it. I'm just trying not to get myself all stressed about it since class hasn't even started.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
When you go to your clinicals: Introduce yourself to everyone you can first.

Ambulance clinical: get there early; (1hr early is not bad as long as you don't wake up the outgoing crews) find out who is on the truck with you; check the truck with the crew; then stay in the truck and really learn where things are. Think about: if we have an OB emergent delivery that was dispatched as a sick person: and I have to run out of the house to get OB kit, where is it? Where is trauma, airway medical stuff). I spent at least 2 hours at the beginning of every shift on the ambulance actually in the ambulance; and I did over 30 12hr shifts on the ambulances during a 5 month EMT-B class.

In Hospital: Introduce yourself to the charge nurse and the nurses over the Trauma rooms: go through the room checks with the nurses; and then spend more time looking at the equipment. Then when you aren't with a patient; go find the stock room/stock cart (alot of hospitals have a cart that they take room to room with them to restock the rooms) and STOCK the rooms. Restock linens It is surprising how much that scores points with the nurses. I had nurses that would come and find me for good patients (bad, as your point of view may be); because they were impressed with how I jumped in and helped.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
Fast track emt course

I start school on the 23rd and its a fast track course for my EMT. Its only 2 months long. Im so nervous so any and all advice is welcomed.

Not sure how you are as far as time management but this additional resources is geared to three seperate plans, passing in 2 months, 1 month, and 1 week... Might be a good idea to help you manage your time. etc.

http://www.amazon.com/CliffsNotes-E...0470878134/ref=pd_sim_b_3/180-6529029-7009562

BEST OF LUCK.

OP
OP
T

TMcCord

Forum Ride Along
Thank-you for this. School starts in a week and this should come in handy. I'm not sure how I am with time management yet cause I haven't been to school in years, and now I'm going back to school with a fast track course, 2 kids and a husband who is deployed. So I am deff in for it.
I have no clue how my instructor is, so I'm just trying to get any and all resources to help make this as easy as possible.