I need advice

HemOnc

Forum Probie
Hello everyone, I am a noob to this forum but I am having some troubles....

I am a rising senior in HS and am currently doing an EMT-B Course...I just had a chat with my instructor and it seems like he is saying I might have to retake the course...

I scored a 0% on one quiz and that made my average for quizzes go extremely low...My friend helped me figure out all the math and it IS possible that I can still pass the course with a 75%, I just need to get 100% on all the next quizzes, and this does not include the midterm and the final.

I was really slacking early on because I relied on my own background medical knowledge, and I have been dealing with some personal issues at home. I am really sad because I was thinking this course would be the highlight of my summer. My self-esteem was brought down by this news, and I am less talkative in class now, and am not as enthusiastic. I KNOW I can be successful, and I really want to open up to the instructor about what has been going on at home that caused me to struggle with the first part of the course. I am praying that I do not have to retake this course, but do you guys think I can work something out with the instructor? I am one of the youngest in the course (16) and have realized the mistakes I made in the beginning. Advice would be great!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
What ever your instructor says is the passing grade is it. Lots of EMT schools require an 80% overall passing score to pass.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
HemOnc, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles at home, but I urge you to consider whether you'd want an EMT who didn't know the material responding to YOUR home thanks to a special arrangement with the instructor. EMS is a serious business -- well, it's supposed to be, anyway. Maybe it's time to take a break from EMT classes, get things squared away at home, then give it another try when you're a little older and less preoccupied.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Are the quizzes that heavily weighted that one will tank your course?

If not, learn from the mistake, fix it, and move on. If so, maybe taking care of yourself first and coming back later is the right idea. That's a good lesson to learn for this job anyway.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
You wouldn't be the first person to fail a class. Many of those that have to repeat a class took their studies more seriously the second time and did well.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm assuming you live in a state that will license a 16 year old(which I struggle to get my head around, but I suppose is irrelevant). If that is the case, then yes you are going to need to achieve the standards set by the institution.

If not, why take the class so early? In MA, you can start EMT school at 17 only if you will be of age to take your exams at the end of class.

Either way, you either make the grade or you do not and if you do not, you will have to repeat the class. The good news is you have at least a year, before even the most progressive company will hire you(and in some states it will be years beyond that); so there really isnt a rush. You're going to do what you feel is best, but I wouldn't recommend going crying to your instructor about your home stress. It doesn't matter. I dont say that to be cruel, but to be forthright. You cant start making excuses after the bell has tolled. Had you brought your issues up before or during class(before you were behind the 8 ball), perhaps they would have carried some weight; but nobody wants to hear your excuses, valid or otherwise, after the fact.

It sounds like either way this will be a good learning experience for you in a number of ways, namely you have to work hard to achieve and the biggest lesson lacking in this generation, the world neither owes you a living nor cares about your personal issues. As an adult, you either get it done or you find yourself outside looking in. We used to learn that early on in life, but it has been pushed farther and farther down the road. You're at a good age to kick roughed up a bit by life. Maybe this will ultimatley benefit you in the long run.