I live in Calgary and I have a few questions.

Roysh21

Forum Ride Along
I am a registered EMR and I will be starting my EMT training in February. I've been looking everywhere for an ambulance station to go on a ride-along, but I just don't know where to go. Can someone help me please?
I would also like to start volunteering at places in and outside the city. Can anyone suggest any places I could volunteer at?

christinag

Forum Ride Along
Hey I just have a question for you actually. Where did you take your EMR program? did you like it, would you suggest others go there?. Where are you taking your EMT at?

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
I am a registered EMR and I will be starting my EMT training in February. I've been looking everywhere for an ambulance station to go on a ride-along, but I just don't know where to go. Can someone help me please?
I would also like to start volunteering at places in and outside the city. Can anyone suggest any places I could volunteer at?

You can always try industrial work. People say that stuff doesnt usually happen which is true but its still good to go out there and get experience being familiar with things like GPS equipment, controls in an ambulance, and general EMS equipment, all the EMR bags etc plus you make a killing in terms of money and can come very financially prepared for EMT...You can also do stuff like get your class 4 license, and other certifications you may need to work in the future. So that when you're done you can just get started right away if you like. I'm pretty sure its mandatory in almost every district to have a class 4 so if you have that more doors may open up for you. I'm almost debating getting a class 3 with air breaks in case i want to become a fire medic so that more doors will be open to me in my field of career choice

Stuff does happen out in industrial there too. A chick in my EMT class works industrial all the time and she said she had a guy die out there once which would be awesome experience to have. It really depends though what youre after. Although be prepared for the worst if you go out there....If you want experience be prepared to come across something like an MCI out there and know your stuff when it comes down to that....Try and be fearless but approachable and willing to deal with bad situations [which is what we all have to learn right?]

I'm pretty sure the city of calgary does ride alongs too you should try and talk to them, Another chick in my class went on 4 ride alongs in forest lawn and got to do vitals on patients and stuff....might be something to consider.

Hit me up if you have any questions and if you want help studyin when you start EMT as i'm from calgary too.

I.S

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought AHS took over a majority of EMS operation in the province, Have you tried contacting them. With AHS EMS they are a provincially run third service so I think if you want to be a fire medic you would have to work up in Fort McMurray in the oil sands with Syncrude or another oil and gas company.

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
I thought AHS took over a majority of EMS operation in the province, Have you tried contacting them. With AHS EMS they are a provincially run third service so I think if you want to be a fire medic you would have to work up in Fort McMurray in the oil sands with Syncrude or another oil and gas company.

Hi Fortsmithman

Yes they have but there are still fire medic jobs available

This is one example:

http://collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Employment/default.aspx?id=1542

There is also another independent district in calgary that has fire medics i cant remember the name of it though

Eventually they are going to divide the red deer system up which should create more jobs in the future.

However who knows what will happen...AHS might run out of money, they might do a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty job...no one knows...One things for certain that people dont speak highly of AHS most of the time and if it keeps up something might change

I am also saying this because I am aware of how hard it is to get on with calgary EMS and if I can't get on there in a few years when my training is all done I MAY become a firefighter because I dont want to work in small towns the rest of my life

Cheers

OP
OP
R

Roysh21

Forum Ride Along
What do you mean by industrial work as an EMR? Also I don't know who to contact or where to go for a ride-along, can you please give me a number, website or an address? Thank you.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Open up your phone book and look up Alberta Health Services and call them and ask to speak to someone about doing a ride along.

yyc_ranger_4x4

Forum Probie
There are a number of companies in/around Calgary that employ EMR's, EMT's, and EMT-P's for all types of events. Check ACP's webpage on employment for a few of them. I'm not hoping to start any company debates, but you can try talking to Dee S at Emergency Response Training but checking out their employment seeking on ACP's page here -->http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Employment/default.aspx?id=1505

As far as a ride along, I'm not sure how or if this will happen. At the very least, you may get to be an observer but unless you're employed by, and insured by, the company offering the ride along, I don't believe you would be able to touch the pt. I could be wrong on this, but it is my understanding thus far.

I was hoping to get to write the EMR here in a few weeks, but I found out that my registration was too late as this round of exam's is full so I'll be writing in Jan. This kinda sucks as I was hoping to sign up for the Feb EMT class with AHASTI, so it's going to be pretty tight now...

Last edited by a moderator:

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
There are a number of companies in/around Calgary that employ EMR's, EMT's, and EMT-P's for all types of events. Check ACP's webpage on employment for a few of them. I'm not hoping to start any company debates, but you can try talking to Dee S at Emergency Response Training but checking out their employment seeking on ACP's page here -->http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Employment/default.aspx?id=1505

As far as a ride along, I'm not sure how or if this will happen. At the very least, you may get to be an observer but unless you're employed by, and insured by, the company offering the ride along, I don't believe you would be able to touch the pt. I could be wrong on this, but it is my understanding thus far.

I was hoping to get to write the EMR here in a few weeks, but I found out that my registration was too late as this round of exam's is full so I'll be writing in Jan. This kinda sucks as I was hoping to sign up for the Feb EMT class with AHASTI, so it's going to be pretty tight now...

You can still do that just make sure you pass their scenarios and interview and stuff before you get your results

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I dont know why anyone would suggest doing a ride along with an oil company.... Go to aberta health service website and there should be some information on ride alongs. You have to have an EMR number in order to do a ride along with the City of Calgary....But I do believe they have quite a lengthy waitlist. Try Rural services that are not taken over by ASH yet, you'll have a better chance of doing one there.

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
I dont know why anyone would suggest doing a ride along with an oil company.... Go to aberta health service website and there should be some information on ride alongs. You have to have an EMR number in order to do a ride along with the City of Calgary....But I do believe they have quite a lengthy waitlist. Try Rural services that are not taken over by ASH yet, you'll have a better chance of doing one there.

I didn't...lol

I suggested working at one and doing a ride along with the city