I just applied at AMR

super_chris

Forum Probie
Anybody have any suggestions for the upcoming interview? Anything I should study? Any questions I should be ready for? What I should bring? Is a resume really necessary?

Feel free to dump your thoughts on the matter. Or your getting hired process.

trackmedic

Forum Crew Member
Tell them you can get signatures and billing information and you believe the more calls you can do per hour is the best for your patients.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Tell them you can get signatures and billing information and you believe the more calls you can do per hour is the best for your patients.

You know, not everyone can get on a 911 service straight out of basic class.

rmellish

Forum Captain
My interview wasn't very difficult. We had a long application, but no resume was necessary. They mostly asked if I had done any EMS work before, if I knew the coverage area well (in terms of driving) and if I had driven an ambulance or large vehicle before.

I wouldn't think you'd need to "study" anything. It wouldn't hurt to know a little about how shifts work (12hr, 24hr etc), and the various stations you would need to travel to, or if that is even an issue.

Since I'm assuming you have limited experience, just be sure they realize that you're eager to learn the ropes and be a team player.

It also may be a good idea to have a clean driving record, but thats sort of hard to fix once something has happened.

I'm assuming this is your first interview, if I'm off the mark on that, I'm sorry.

OP
OP
super_chris

super_chris

Forum Probie
My interview wasn't very difficult. We had a long application, but no resume was necessary. They mostly asked if I had done any EMS work before, if I knew the coverage area well (in terms of driving) and if I had driven an ambulance or large vehicle before.

I wouldn't think you'd need to "study" anything. It wouldn't hurt to know a little about how shifts work (12hr, 24hr etc), and the various stations you would need to travel to, or if that is even an issue.

Since I'm assuming you have limited experience, just be sure they realize that you're eager to learn the ropes and be a team player.

It also may be a good idea to have a clean driving record, but thats sort of hard to fix once something has happened.

I'm assuming this is your first interview, if I'm off the mark on that, I'm sorry.
I get that you don't need a resume, but do you think it would be worth it to make one up? Or do they not care at all about them? The thing about the coverage area is, it's all of Riverside county(about the size of Oklahoma :p), I don't have a choice where I'm stationed, I take what I can get. Luckily I do know my way around the major cities and all the highways.

I understand the basics of the shift schedule, but could still learn more. Anybody want to give me a lesson in this? or provide a link.

My driving record is pretty clean, one ticket for 20 over about 3 years ago and one accident a month ago(100% not my fault, and CHP agrees).

Yeah, it's my first interview. I applied and took the entry test yesterday. I really should have studied though. I felt pretty confident, but I know I could have done better if I had just read the book for a few days prior.

Thanks for your time.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I'm not very familiar with AMR or how they do things. I work for a much smaller company. I can't really speak for AMR, but I would suggest making a resume if you have prior work experience in EMS, healthcare, or emergency services. Also do one if you have a number of certifications or additional training (PHTLS, etc.) Like I said, I can't speak for AMR's hiring practices, so do what you think is best.

Our 24hr shifts run from 9p to 9p. However we only get paid for 20 hrs because the company assumes we sleep for at least four of them. However, if you do not have four hours of downtime from 11pm to 5am, you get your four hours. Be sure and ask about sleep time, I know some companies pay 16hrs and time and a half during sleep time, etc. Everyone is different.

Our company also runs two twelve hour shift day crews. I work 24s, more hours, more money for me, plus day crews do not run on weekends.

AMR has an entrance exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
super_chris

super_chris

Forum Probie
AMR has an entrance exam?
Yeah. It was 100 technical (just standard ABC(D)'s S(OPQRST)AMPLE) questions and 40 personality questions(true false).

I'd say it was easier than the national registry, but still harder than most quizzes during my EMT course. I really should have studied though. I know I could have aced the thing if I had.

On a completely unrelated note. I just found out I'm an EMT-I. Apparently Riverside county's EMT programs are EMT-I only. Being one level higher makes me feel pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
super_chris

super_chris

Forum Probie
That should be good for the paycheck then.

How long was the course?

The course was 6 months long(jan-june) 8 hours a week. We did lecture on Monday nights and lab on Wednesday nights.

The instructor was Art Durbin and a few other paramedics/EMTs that helped during lab nights. I can confidently say that it was the best class I have ever taken, it was fun, challenging and never boring. How could you be bored studying when you've got a picture of a fatality or gruesome injury on ever other page of your book? Oh yeah, and I took at MSJC in Menifee.