i have one dwi. am i wasting my time?

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Good point, but at the time of receiving the loans very few would disagree that it was not a responsible move due to economy. It was pre-Morgage , pre-Healthbill, pre Financial crisis and in a career which has been consistently rated in the top tier due to Baby-boom demographics. A whole Lot has changed since than, and it's actually a move of Responsibility to decide to not go further as forecasting is clearer now that it is not a good financial decision to get further into debt for certification in that field. It's not like there was a lack of planning, but not all factors are in one's control and certainly things are looking to change. It would be irresponsible to follow that course now. The responsible thing to do would be to focus on applying the knowledge I did learn into something that I could apply. Thus thinking EMS.

I know the pay is rough and there are budget cuts. The Skill; however, is priceless - especially with a Nation that is 6 trill $$ in debt to Communist China looking at a possible War with Iran.

My theory has always been to apply and apply as often as you can to any position you think you might have a chance at getting. Never let anything keep you out of the hunt,because you just never know. Worst thing that can happen is you get an interview but get no call back. Thats okay because interviews mean your getting practice which means you should be getting better each time.

There are people out there who might seem damaged to the rest of us but they have mastered the skill of getting an employer to focus on what they can do rather than what they have done. Being able to show your deserving of a chance is possible but you really need to bring your A game to the table. Most of your competition is very unprepared and oblivious to what kind of challenge lies ahead but this plays to your favor. A good example is look at all the posts where people come to this site and others looking for specific information just days or even hours before a test or interview. Thats maybe a good 50%+ of your competition and thats being kind,25% have no chance because they are just unemployable for one reason or another. The solid 25% of the competition that gets it and has taken steps to prepare is the group that someone with "history" needs to be aware of.

Sometimes I over state the lack of jobs available in relation to the large number of applicants out there and why someone with any kind of negative history should move ahead of those of us who have always worked hard and played by the rules and have a history that shows it. People need to be aware that this has become a very competitive field and no longer will it be the norm to let someone with a little negative history move ahead. With new people entering the market every time a class wraps up its only going to get tighter and having a clean history should be a minimum requirement for entry into the field.

Mlee81

Forum Ride Along
My theory has always been to apply and apply as often as you can to any position you think you might have a chance at getting. Never let anything keep you out of the hunt,because you just never know. Worst thing that can happen is you get an interview but get no call back. Thats okay because interviews mean your getting practice which means you should be getting better each time.

There are people out there who might seem damaged to the rest of us but they have mastered the skill of getting an employer to focus on what they can do rather than what they have done. Being able to show your deserving of a chance is possible but you really need to bring your A game to the table. Most of your competition is very unprepared and oblivious to what kind of challenge lies ahead but this plays to your favor. A good example is look at all the posts where people come to this site and others looking for specific information just days or even hours before a test or interview. Thats maybe a good 50%+ of your competition and thats being kind,25% have no chance because they are just unemployable for one reason or another. The solid 25% of the competition that gets it and has taken steps to prepare is the group that someone with "history" needs to be aware of.

Sometimes I over state the lack of jobs available in relation to the large number of applicants out there and why someone with any kind of negative history should move ahead of those of us who have always worked hard and played by the rules and have a history that shows it. People need to be aware that this has become a very competitive field and no longer will it be the norm to let someone with a little negative history move ahead. With new people entering the market every time a class wraps up its only going to get tighter and having a clean history should be a minimum requirement for entry into the field.

Good post! Thanks for being straightforward and honest! For me preparation isn't a problem. My problem is actually over analyzing and being a perfectionist. So I'm on the other end of the spectrum there.

The good news is the Credit isn't in the toilet "yet". Tough economy out there right now.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Where do you live? If you are a paramedic, i know a service theat serves multiple states around here that would give you a chance, I have never worked for them, but they seem to have many of the same problems that plague all private IFT services

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Good post! Thanks for being straightforward and honest! For me preparation isn't a problem. My problem is actually over analyzing and being a perfectionist. So I'm on the other end of the spectrum there.

The good news is the Credit isn't in the toilet "yet". Tough economy out there right now.

I hear you brother I have had some hurdles myself this last year. My move down from the Pacific Northwest to So Cal cost me a fortune on top of that I had to pay for two houses until I got my place in WA rented. I think we all are feeling the economy in one way or another.

Over analyzing and being a perfectionist are qualities you share with the 25% I was talking about. Keep in the hunt and good things will come.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
First of all sorry but this is my opinion of you; You're an idiot for drinking and driving, I don't care what anyone else says here, and if you can make that kind of bad/careless judgement I wouldn't want you treating me or my family member and/or being my partner at work.

422817_360461477322169_117877988247187_1125670_87009782_n.jpg

Secondly staying more on topic; You aren't wasting your time necessarily but EMS is already competitive enough and with a DWI on your record most ambulance companies will probably ignore your application. Of course you can always go to a hospital but with a DWI and probably 99 other people applying for the position they might also ignore your application. But hey in EMS in a lot of places it's not what you know, it's who you know.

OP
OP
E

emt b MO

Forum Probie
First of all sorry but this is my opinion of you; You're an idiot for drinking and driving, I don't care what anyone else says here, and if you can make that kind of bad/careless judgement I wouldn't want you treating me or my family member and/or being my partner at work.

422817_360461477322169_117877988247187_1125670_87009782_n.jpg

Secondly staying more on topic; You aren't wasting your time necessarily but EMS is already competitive enough and with a DWI on your record most ambulance companies will probably ignore your application. Of course you can always go to a hospital but with a DWI and probably 99 other people applying for the position they might also ignore your application. But hey in EMS in a lot of places it's not what you know, it's who you know.
well I agree with you. I made a mistake and I am fortunate no one was hurt. I am sorry for my mistake though. I am not trying to make light of the situation but who you were isn't who you have to be. It won't happen ever again

Sasha

Forum Chief
Personally I don't care for people who drink and drive.

That is basically saying "i don't give an eff about anyone I could possibly hurt or kill. I don't want to be inconvenienced and I got my drunk on."

It is the ultimate me me me me attitude and it makes me sick. Everyone has made mistakes, but not everyone's mistakes puts other peoples lives in danger.

That being said I do believe people can change. But you're going to have to do your time. No ambulance company is going to hire you while you're on probation. No health care facility will either.

Give it time, take this time to learn and study. Take some anatomy classes, read up on pharmacology and look for medic schools so when you've put your time in, you can enter the field educated and ready to advance your career.

OP
OP
E

emt b MO

Forum Probie
Personally I don't care for people who drink and drive.

That is basically saying "i don't give an eff about anyone I could possibly hurt or kill. I don't want to be inconvenienced and I got my drunk on."

It is the ultimate me me me me attitude and it makes me sick. Everyone has made mistakes, but not everyone's mistakes puts other peoples lives in danger.

That being said I do believe people can change. But you're going to have to do your time. No ambulance company is going to hire you while you're on probation. No health care facility will either.

Give it time, take this time to learn and study. Take some anatomy classes, read up on pharmacology and look for medic schools so when you've put your time in, you can enter the field educated and ready to advance your career.

yeah I understand your point and I feel really bad about it. Thanks for the advice.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
We wont have you. Plenty of better-qualifed, more mature people in or joining already. DUI is a career killer dude.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Military is currently downsizing, With a DUi on record a recruiter might say ok but one you do the FBI backround check you will be knocked back.

(Source, i use to recruit)

100JOULES

Forum Probie
I really think it depends on the employer. I know of a guy who had his conditional offer rescinded after a DWI, and got the job a year later. And that was a Fire Dept