Hunter Down

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Called to the Local State Game Lands for an unk age male non-responsive. Hunter is found by 2 other Hunters (laying in approx 18" of snow) whom came upon him from different directions. Pt is located in a field approx 500 yards from nearest access road, Ems is called via cellphone & dispatched.

Pt is laying RLC position, face turned inwards towards ground (snow) Rifle is directly underneath him, left hand on trigger. Blood splatter pattern noticed on left lwr leg/boot with small of blood under left boot.

Your thoughts, comments & what would you do & consider?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Where is he shot at?

It's probably obvious, if it's a suicide..

They taught us how to handle this in our "school for rangers".. :p

Since PGC and BOF has to initiate a full investigation into all hunting accidents, on state or private land, they would have run of the scene over state police. Unless there is a crime.

Don't step in the blood, clear any non ems/pd personnel out.. that means firemen too. Don't move the victim, don't move the gun, don't touch anything other than the victims neck for a pulse. If death is obvious, or condition is not compatible with life, don't even try to get them back. It's not worth keeping someone on a respirator w/ their memory and quality of life dripping out a hole in their cranium.

Check for pulse > if there is one, take his hand off the gun. If there is no pulse > listen w/ a scope for 60 seconds and write down the time b/c he's a DOA.

If it's a DOA, clear the area, only cover them if it's snowing. Walk in the steps you came in with. Note any steps off other than yours, and the victims. Note anything suspicious, etc. Take polarides if possible.

200 Yards off the roadway is considered a woods rescue. So we don't start CPR unless it's a drowning that JUST happened. In wilderness EMS, CPR is a no no. AED is also a no no. You can't do CPR on someone that is in a stokes basket, it's just not possible, you'll end up dropping the patient, or injuring someones back.

If the idiot has shot himself in the leg, and he has a pulse.. Don't rewarm till you have a pressure dressing on it. In this case, Hypothermia is your friend.
Apply a 12x30 to each exit and entrance. Apply an inflatable splint, and fill it to the max, clamp the hose w/ a hemostat. Back board him, stokes him, apply O2, wrap a hot pack around the oxygen hose, or use warm humidified water. transport. Fly him if possible. Special case > OMC>Consider MAST for shock; two IV's NS/LR 1000 bolus; ekg; dextrose/thiamine/naxalone; keep the epi and atropine on hand in case he arrests; third large bore IV; rapid infuser w/ hot packs; 10 mcg/Dopamine; intubate; place the pacer pads on just in case; field foley (lots of fluids given)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Darn... VERY thourogh post (esp. from someone who usually just posts smilies :lol: ).

All are good thoughts, but given the somewhat "short" distance to road... if it isn't obvious, I'd work him.

Our local PD have an ATV - that would be requested, as well as my FD's Squad (F350, Reading body, 4WD). At the other Co - I'd request the Squad (F350, 4WD, custom pierce body) from the Rescue Company to get the guy out.

OP
OP
emtff99

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Ok alittle more info for you. The other 2 Hunters had stated "they spoke with this Hunter approx 3-4 hours to finding him again." Approx 700 yards to the East (in the woods). The downed hunter mentioned he had shot @ a deer & missed it, he was going to return to his vehicle to change boots & warm up for a while, before going back out. The downed hunter also explained that when he had taken a shot @ 1 deer, someone appearently tried the same & hit a tree approx 10 yards from him.

I'll let it go for now to see what other members have to say, then I will let you know the outcome. ;)

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay is it possible that the bullet hitting the tree could came back and hit him off the tree??

I would check for a pulse since and look at the amount of blood loss. Which doesn't sound like a whole lot but if he is wearing insulated coveralls it could be alot more then what is seen. If he has a pulse and is workable. take his hand off the gun and flip him over. And start working him. (again if possible and if warrented). Be cautious of the scene incase of investigation is needed or has to be done.

Which way is he faceing. Is his track in line to go back to his vehicle or headed away as that will give you approx. time line.

OP
OP
emtff99

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
When the Hunter was found, his tracks were leading away from the woods going towards his vehicle. However, the Hunter was laying facing towards the woods.

ALS is first to arrive on scene, checks for a pulse, none found at all. Upon our BLS arrival, we are told by the Medic "He is considering it a crime scene." and for us to remain there. With the BLS crew, the Medic then removes the rifle out from underneath the Hunter & lays it directly in front of him. State Police & Game Commision is now notified & arrive on scene approx 15 mintues later.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
my only concern would be making sure the gun was "secure" - and couldn't be accidently set off my pt. movement.

Jon

OP
OP
emtff99

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
The Medic checks for Carodid (sp?) pulse, none found, places leads on Pt, confirms no heart rate either. Upon PSP & Game Commission arrival, PT's is ID'ed by his Hunting Tags. 2 State Troopers pick up the hunter's rifle to check to see if it is loaded or have a spent shell in it. The chamber is found to be empty. Game Commission (about 10 of them) fan out to find other hunters in the area, to gather information such Hunter's name, Rifle, Caliber, etc.

All this time, the Medic has NOT checked the PT other than for pulse & HR. No checking of possible wounds & so forth.

bravofoxtrot

Forum Crew Member
MAST trousers?! 1000 mL?! No one does that anymore.

If you can feel a radial pulse (or if the systolic BP is 90 and above), no reason to give a bolus. If you can't, give the patient a 250 bolus and continue to do so until a radial pulse or 90 systolic is obtained. Permissive hypotension.

OP
OP
emtff99

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
VS are No Pulse, No Resps, No HR. Coroner is called & has arrived on scene within 1 hr. While we are standing there with PSP & the Game Commission, as both Agencies are taking photos of the victim & scene. My Wife had asked about possible Deer Tracks approx 100 yards away to the north of where we stood. It was then decided by the Game Commission to follow the Hunters tracks & the possible (which did turn out to be) Deer Tracks (5 different sets in the area) & see where things lead from there. So needless to say, 1 PSP Trooper, 1 Game Commission Officer, the Asst Chief of my Dept & Myself went tracking.

Upon the Coroner's arrival, the hunter was rolled over & "field examed" by the Coroner. approx 25 minutes later, We arrived back @ the scene with the following Information of our findings. A Button Buck was found approx -700-800 yards (East) in the woods from where the hunter was found. The Button Buck was shot twice & field dressed. As per the Coroner's field findings, NO BULLET Wounds were found on the victim at all (No holes within the outdoor clothing).

Victim was then placed on a Reeves, then onto a ATV & TXed to our Ambulance approx 1/4 mile away awaiting on a passable road. Hence to say the New Media (God I love them people NOT!) were standing at the Gate Entrance with their cameras going as we were bringing the deceased out.

Once we got the deceased loaded into our ambulance & waiting for PSP to notify the family, the Asst Chief, Amb Capt & Myself were standing outside talking when a person pulled up & asked if someone had been shot & what we were doing there. My response was "No, just watching the deer go by".

What I did not agree with on the scene was the Medic did not check to see where the blood had come from (IE, maybe a possible upper leg wound, or ankle wound etc.) nothing other than checking for a pulse & HR, then the Medic considered it to be a "crime scene" until other wise proven.

ptemt

Forum Crew Member
This could have been an unsafe scene as well. I believe it was last year or the year before in Wisconsin, that a disgruntled hunter shot some five or six members of another hunting party.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by bravofoxtrot@Dec 4 2005, 04:30 PM
MAST trousers?! 1000 mL?! No one does that anymore.

City folks... Just like children.

I do what my protocols tell me to do.