How to get that first job??

mgilliam34

Forum Ride Along
I am getting ready to take my state boards for Paramedic in Florida. I am an EMT - B however, I have never worked anywhere as one. I went straight from EMT school into the Paramedic program (I am also a nursing student so my nursing pre-reqs and GPA helped me get it). I would like to work in the hospital as a Paramedic/Clin Tech. My question is this: how do I get that first job without any experience? I have been apply for positions for MONTHS and haven't gotten even one telephone call. Everything that I have applied for says they accept either EMTs or Paramedics yet I dont ever hear anything back. I havve 20 years of customer service experience and I am PALS, ACLS, BLS, ITLS certified. I have completed two dysrhythmia courses through American Heart in an effort to make myself more marketable. I live in the Orlando area but I am willing to drive a little ways for that first job if I have to. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to at least get an interview somewhere? I think working in the hospital will really help me get a jump on my skills. I really do not have any inclination to be out in that truck because I am going to be 41 and most of the agencies in this area require fire standards. I would simply like to work in my field while I finish school. Any suggestions would be helpful..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hospital tech jobs are tough seeing as most require experience. With your age and previous work experience and being in nursing school it may help though. Just my experience but I was hired as an EMT with no experience at a 911 company when the ERs told me I wasn't qualified due to not having experience.