How to cope

Sasha

Forum Chief
Has nothing to do with not giving your best on every call. Children are more resilient than the elderly and are more likely to have a better recovery from a longer down time than someone who is 80.

Actually, the elderly survive cardiac arrest a lot better than pediatrics who arrest. It's a myth that the younger you are the better your chances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
Has nothing to do with not giving your best on every call. Children are more resilient than the elderly and are more likely to have a better recovery from a longer down time than someone who is 80.

I think what you are thinking of is compensation. I quote from an Intermediate that I work with, 'kids compensate then fall of the face of the earth.'

Children can hold on better after facing a traumatic event, and they compensate better when losing blood, but in the end everything catches up to them and they need to be worked just as hard as any other patient. Just because they are young doesn't give them a free ticket out. They compensate, and by the time they begin to go downhill, it's too late

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, the elderly survive cardiac arrest a lot better than pediatrics who arrest. It's a myth that the younger you are the better your chances.
Exactly. And this is one of the factors contributing to the push to eliminate pedi intubation from the field. Too many medics getting too emotionally charged and doing things that are not indicated, and that they are too freaked out to perform competently.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Something that would probably hit a nerve with me is if I knew someone personally. Id would have to live with that the rest of my life, not being around them anymore. But I’m not trying to wish that.

You also want to be a FF. You do realize you may be doing body recovery in the wrecked cars and burned homes of the people in your community, some of whom you may know. Some will also be children.

bensley101

Forum Probie
I was reading through this whole post and someone stated that adding an ambu bill to funeral costs was a bad thing......glad I'm volunteer! lol, that way I don't have to think about doing that to anyone. Fortunately for them my services are free.

I wonder if former pts give the best donations? probably not.