How reliable is capnography?

willtcam

Forum Probie
Hey guys hope some one can help me.

How reliable is a capnography wave form in "diagnosing" bronchial constriction?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey guys hope some one can help me.

How reliable is a capnography wave form in "diagnosing" bronchial constriction?
In terms of sensitivity or specificity?

OP
OP
W

willtcam

Forum Probie
specificity..

Basically what I'm looking for is if a patient has a "normal" appearing wave form can they still have bronchial constriction?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
specificity..

Basically what I'm looking for is if a patient has a "normal" appearing wave form can they still have bronchial constriction?

That's sensitivity :)

The reason I ask is because in the real world, the accuracy of a capnograph depends on several factors, probably the most important of which is the patient exhaling a true full tidal volume breath. If they are breathing rapidly as people often do when they are in pain or anxious, you may not be getting a true "end tidal" waveform. The morphology can vary too, based on whether they are breathing solely out of their mouth or nose

All things being equal and working they way they are expected to, I think capnography is generally very reliable. But like any clinical tool, it is imperfect, and I think that like many assessment tools, it is probably more specific than it is sensitive. In other words, if you see a well-formed shark fin waveform, it is probably better evidence for the actual presence of bronchoconstriction (specificity) than lack of a shark fin is evidence of a lack of bronchoconstriction (sensitivity). Similar to the way that presence of ST elevation is generally reliable evidence for myocardial ischemia, whereas lack of ST elevation can't rule out myocardial ischemia.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

willtcam

Forum Probie
Disagreement on if a albuterol treatment would have been beneficial or not. Patient was an elderly lady with CHF, COPD that had been without her oxygen for an unknown amount of time. Patient complained of just shortness of breath but was very anxious and breathing about 50 Bpm. Patient's room air was low 70's but rose to patients normal (90%) within about 7 minutes on a nasal cannula. Patients lung sounds were clear and etco2 was 23-26 and wave form was normal. Patient was tachycardia around 130.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Cannula seems real bad for an O2 sat in the 70s breathing 50/min. Rather not sit around for 7 minutes waiting for it to come up.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Disagreement on if a albuterol treatment would have been beneficial or not. Patient was an elderly lady with CHF, COPD that had been without her oxygen for an unknown amount of time. Patient complained of just shortness of breath but was very anxious and breathing about 50 Bpm. Patient's room air was low 70's but rose to patients normal (90%) within about 7 minutes on a nasal cannula. Patients lung sounds were clear and etco2 was 23-26 and wave form was normal. Patient was tachycardia around 130.
Why are you giving albuterol to a patient with no indication for it?

SpecialK

Forum Captain
You don't need ETCO2 to tell you if somebody should be given salbutamol.

Salbutamol is a bronchodilator used to treat bronchoconstriction, thus do diagnose bronchoconstriction all you need is a stethoscope (provided you know where to listen and what for).

Doczilla

Forum Captain
I've found that printing the strip helps with seeing the shark fin better as well; sometimes you see shark fin wave forms that end up being normal after you print em out.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Someone with a RR of 50 with a room air sat of 70%, and you put a nasal cannula on first? Yikes.