How much is enough?

A.Anaka

Forum Probie
My current situation is: hired as a casual Tech-P in Manitoba. It's been about 1 month since I've been hired and yet I am still waiting for my first shift, even though they claim that its so hard to fill shifts. No biggie, Its nothing I can't handle with a good book.

My question comes in when I decided to get re-acquainted with my text book as it pertains to A & P, medical conditions, treatment protocols, etc etc. Much to my surprise I had forgotten quite a bit of the material. Its been 7 months or so since I aced my final exam. I suppose I made the mistake of not re-affirming the skills and principles that I wasn't using in my clinical and as a result I simply forgot.

I was wondering how often do you read your old text books and similar literature as to keep your skills up to par? Also when I finally get some shifts will I notice less of this information falling away from me?

I understand that its my own fault this has happened and I whole heartedly intend on changing the situation, but I still can't help but feel like if I had been getting more shifts and practicing my skills in the field I wouldn't have forgotten them.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
practical application beat studying 7 days a week.

it will all come back to you when you start doing road shifts.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
practical application beat studying 7 days a week.

it will all come back to you when you start doing road shifts.
Yes and no. Far as the skills and recognition of what is wrong absolutely (long as they aren't brainless and work for a moderately busy system), even toss in what the treatements and it's still ok.

But other than that, medicine is an ever changing thing; treatements that were current one day are not the next; ask someone certified 10 years ago and someone certified 10 days ago what the treatement for CHF and why it's that way. There's always something new out there to learn and even if it's not new info, there is a hell of a lot of info beyond what get's taught in Paramedic or CCP school that is worth knowing.

If you don't have a problem remembering everything you were taught (and yes, you were taught A&P, biology and about disease processes for a reason) then kudo's to you, you don't need to study. But if you can't, it's information you should remember as it'll help with your treatements and diagnosis, so if you've gotta study, or just want to learn more, go for it.

For me, whenever I get an oddball patient I end up going over what was or could have been wrong and why, and what the likely treatements will be for them, and why. And pulling my old texts, or others that are kicking around the station to go through is a good way to make sure that you haven't forgotten something without even knowing it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well said.

It is a rare call that I don't learn SOMETHING... anything from "I should check my truck better", or "PCP+Patient++Paramedics+Police=BAD DAY" to "my current partner is a total moron who shouldn't be treating animals" to the medic taking some time to share an oddball 12 lead and explain it.

Stopping