How many EMS agencies US wide?

rebech34

Forum Ride Along
Good Morning!
First post here...

I'm trying to find an official number of the overall number of EMS agencies in the US.
i.e., I found out on the TX DSHS, that there are 910 active agencies, including transport, 911 and others.

Anyone?

Thanks!
R

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
I would contact the American Ambulance Association. They have those statistics. Surprising there isn't that many. I know when I looked it up there was something like 110,000 active services. But that was back in the 90's

MrJones

Iconoclast
110,000 active services works out to an average of 2,200 services per state. I don't know that I'd call that not that many. In fact, I don't know that I'd even call that likely.

From the American Ambulance Association Website:

Vital U.S. Ambulance Statistics

• Number of Ambulance Services 15,276
  • Number of Ground Ambulance Vehicles 48,384
  • Number of EMS Personnel 840,669

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Looking back in my notes the 110,000. Were the number of vehicles in 1994.

I would contact the American Ambulance Association. They have those statistics. Surprising there isn't that many. I know when I looked it up there was something like 110,000 active services. But that was back in the 90's

So the ambulance fleet in the U.S. has declined by approximately 55% in 20 years? Fascinating. I wonder what accounts for the decline.
I wonder if mergers of multiple smaller companies into a single bigger company has to do with the decline of the U.S. ambulance fleet.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Or perhaps the fact that most companies simply run rigs into the ground and are as slow as humanly possible to but new (or usually new used) rigs!

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
I wonder if mergers of multiple smaller companies into a single bigger company has to do with the decline of the U.S. ambulance fleet.
I think part of the answer is that there were a lot of volunteer services that can't keep personnel, and/or keep up with the con ed. I know we are going regional based ems up here and that has impacted the numbers of services significantly.