How is it being an EMT in NY? Need advice on pursuing this...

hockey9

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

I'm considering becoming an EMT. I'm 41 and this would be a career change from teaching (had it with the paperwork, parents, etc...burn out!). I'm in Staten Island, NY.

I sort of thought of the job as bringing sick people to a hospital and not much more. However, I'm starting to think about calls regarding burn victims, protruding bones, big time cuts, dead bodies, etc. The latter is making me second think this. Are the latter calls very rare or no? I'm not a weak-minded guy BUT reality is telling me I may not be able to handle some of the more severe calls well. I really don't want nightmares, etc to become a part of my life. Don't want to sound like a wimp or something, just thinking realistically.

Well, what do you all think? I'm I way off the mark as to what an EMT is involved in or not?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey everyone,

I'm considering becoming an EMT. I'm 41 and this would be a career change from teaching (had it with the paperwork, parents, etc...burn out!). I'm in Staten Island, NY.

I sort of thought of the job as bringing sick people to a hospital and not much more. However, I'm starting to think about calls regarding burn victims, protruding bones, big time cuts, dead bodies, etc. The latter is making me second think this. Are the latter calls very rare or no? I'm not a weak-minded guy BUT reality is telling me I may not be able to handle some of the more severe calls well. I really don't want nightmares, etc to become a part of my life. Don't want to sound like a wimp or something, just thinking realistically.

Well, what do you all think? I'm I way off the mark as to what an EMT is involved in or not?

Thanks in advance! :)

https://www.facebook.com/EMTsParamedics?fref=ts check out some of the pictures. That should answer your question partially.