How does this work exactly

confused11

Forum Ride Along
I will try and explain this the best I can. My husband is is an EMT-B, he used to have his EMT-P but no longer does. He is also an advanced care medic in the Military. He just got a job working for a local hospital/ambulance service. They have him precepting as an EMT-P even though he is only an EMT-B, he is also required to work as an RT (while on the clock as an EMT-B ), give breathing treatments, run vents, ect. They are also required to start IV's on the floors as well as in the Ambulance. I told him this sounds like a lisencing nightmare and that I am not comfortable with it. He says he trusts the hospital and is fine with it. I should add he is very comfortable performing advanced level skills and as done so as an EMT-P and as an AC Military Medic for many years, I am just very worried about the leagel aspects of this.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
It shouldn't be too hard for him to become an EMT-P again. Virginia (and most other states, I would imagine) have "Reentry programs" designed to help people get back their EMS certs with a minimum of hassle. That's probably the easiest way to resolve the legal and ethical issues here.

Also, just because he knows the ALS skills doesn't mean that he's allowed to do them. He could EASILY get sued for practicing outside his protocols if something went wrong. It's just not worth the risk.

The only possible situation tha ti can imagine it possible being reasonable for him to do ALS skills would be in an urgent emergency (code, etc.) when certified ALS was unavailable. Even then, it would be illegal, but you can make a good arguement for it being neccessary.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

confused11

Forum Ride Along
No I completely agree with you that leagely he shouldnt be going what he is, that is what I am tring to tell him, but he says that he hospital says it ok and has no issue with it. I just dont want him to get into trouble for performing outside his scope of practice.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unless they have "job description" describing his level requirements and allowed procedures, he is at great risk. There is no way they will stand behind him because of his past experience. They will drop him, like a hot potato!

If it has been less than 2 years since previous cert or license expired, most states will allow one to take a refresher and re-challenge the examination. If it has been greater than > 2 years most require to re-do all requirements, similar to the NREMT.

As well, he is at great risk if he is not a certified R.T. tech.. there is national requirements at this level.

Sounds like they are using a good skilled person for jack of all trades and pay for none.. then when something happens, the sh*t will fly! If he does not believe you and others, just have him ask for a secific job description of what he is allowed to perform and tasks, that he is legally able to perform.. they will back off....

Good luck, I hope he listens to you!

R/r 911

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
got to agree with Ryder, he's being used....

~S~

trauma1534

Forum Captain
If he is starting IV's and doing different things as such in the hospital setting, then they can call him a Tech and it is totally legal. I work for a trauma center where we have EMT-B's starting IV's and doing all kinds of things. They have to go through classes to be able to do each skill, but they are allowed to do whatever is in the "Tech" job discription. As far as practicing as a Paramedic in the field with just a Basic certification, he is in the wrong. They can and will get him if something goes wrong. He does not hold an ALS certification at this time and he will loose what he does have for practicing out of his scope of practice. So the job is not worth him loosing everything over if they are having him practice at a level that he does not hold a curent certification in.