Hiring question - input from experienced ppl?

IcantThinkofAname

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone,

I'm a new EMT-B and am looking for my first job. I've called a private ambulance company here and they asked me to submit an application...easy enough.

However, I, like most EMTs, am interested in working for a fire dept. Most of the ones around me hire paramedics, though. Is it even worth it for me to inquire or apply? Will I look stupid for applying to fire depts. as an EMT? Also, what is the general process? I thought I could apply directly to the fire department, but my sister said that she thought it would have to go through the City. In either case, would it be considered okay to call the fire depts. directly and ask to apply? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot and this is unfamiliar territory, as I used to be an office worker before this.

Thank you for any input and advice.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
What state do you live in. It depends what the hiring process is for that department. If it is a civil service style process or a town/city that has a civil service style process you might have to wait until the next hiring process. If they only hire paramedics, try getting a job as a part time dispatcher or something for the department to give you points. Work for a private until you get hired on a department.

OP
OP
I

IcantThinkofAname

Forum Crew Member
I'm in Maine. I'm not really sure how it works here and there isn't a ton of info on city websites, etc. about EMS and Fire depts. Unfortunately there's only one private ambulance company in the area so I'm applying there and there is a fire dept. here who does have volunteers and I figure that's good experience, but obviously it's not paid!