hiding from the lights and sirens

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Funny story, (given the circumstance, not so much but still)

I had knee surgery this past thursday, it was my fourth one on the same knee and was originally scheduled to be a routine clean up. My surgeon found a ton of new damage so decided to do a microfracture procedure in several places throughout my knee. Considering the higher volume of pain I would be in, the outpatient hospital I was in decided to transfer me to one where I would be admitted for a night or two. I asked the hospital SEVERAL times who would be doing the transporting. I was assured it would be ground transport From that hospital, NOT the company I was recently employed by.

well sure enough, as the hospitals have put me through the ringer before, my company shows up at my bedside LOL

I had never met the guys before, but they were really super. we had a good laugh (well not really) when someone hit the rig before I was put in it. the medic was about to let it go, since the only thing damaged was the mirror, but the guy in the back and I convinced him otherwise. en route, the EMT looked down at me and said --

"You should do dispatch on saturdays"

my drugged self asked why, and he answered with

"so I don't have to do it"

All in all a VERY Awkward chain of events but I suppose it could have been worse...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
ha, yea I have to admit being picked up or transported by your own guys must be wierd, but at least you know you would get great care seeing as you know them.

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
It always awkward when you're transported by your own people. But you'll also get the best care if you're really sick. They will also bust your chops.

I came down with pneumonia in January. I did not realize this and tried to go to work. When I got to our station, the supervisors called a unit off the road and sent me directly to the ED. I was taken in by guys that I knew fairly well.

Since we work the for the hospital, we have to collect the patient information labels and add them to our EMS charts. The brass are very particular about this.

A couple of hours later one of the crew comes to the ED to see how I'm doing. He told me "You don't have to worry. I got your stickers!"

Epi-do

I see dead people
A couple years ago, I was having some medical issues that I had been going to the doctor for. Long story short, she had me doing some things to track blood pressure and some other stuff. Anyway, went into work and I felt fine. About halfway through the shift, I became very lightheaded, stood up, apparently all of the color drained from my face, and I about passed out. I felt horrible afterwards, so the supervisor insisted I go get checked out. My partner took me in. The ER doc didn't want to listen to what I had to say and totally blew me off. Six days later I had another near syncopal episode and my partner once again took me in to the ER.

In between my trips to the ER, my partner had an allergic reation while on duty and I had to take him in. Talk about getting alot of ribbing from the other crews....