Hi! (And a few questions, lol)

TMMike

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I'm Mike from South Florida and I'm new here, so hi! :)

It's taken me a while, but I'm finally fairly certain that I'd like to become a paramedic. However, I'm a little torn on the right course to get there. I'm thinking it makes more sense to get my EMT-B first, spend a few years in the field, and then go to medic school. However, right now I'm really tight on money, and I've spoken to multiple schools down here and they've all said that their EMT-B programs do NOT qualify for financial aid. When pressed, they suggest that I enroll in their paramedic programs, which qualify for assistance, and of course have the EMT-B part as a component. My question/concern is if I go that route and I end up as a medic with little to no field experience, how badly will this hurt me when looking for a job? I realize right now the market is over saturated to begin with, so would this make me much less desirable than going my preferred route?

What would you all suggest I do?

Thanks!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
This is one of the more debated topics in EMS. We have regular spirited debates on this subject (going straight through to paramedic without experience) here at EMTLife.

My personal thoughts are no, you do not need experience, and not having it will not hurt you at all. I went straight through, with my only experience coming after I started working during medic school, and I came out quite well. Many others here have had the same experiences. But again, people here will argue until they're blue in the ace about whether experience is needed or not.

OP
OP
T

TMMike

Forum Ride Along
This is one of the more debated topics in EMS. We have regular spirited debates on this subject (going straight through to paramedic without experience) here at EMTLife.

My personal thoughts are no, you do not need experience, and not having it will not hurt you at all. I went straight through, with my only experience coming after I started working during medic school, and I came out quite well. Many others here have had the same experiences. But again, people here will argue until they're blue in the ace about whether experience is needed or not.

Thank you :)

Drax

Forum Captain
What's to stop you from volunteering/working after you've gotten your EMT-B from the program? You could work as an EMT and continue going to school.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
(Hypocritical because I didn't do it...) Personally, I think you should work in EMS before you decide if you want to be a Paramedic. You should also speak with your EMT instructor after EMT and ask if it is something you should do. They will let you know whether you would be right for it.

I went straight from EMT to paramedic (with a few pre-paramedic, anatomy, etc courses in between, but no work experience) and I was completely fine. The only people that give me a hard time at work and tell me how much I don't know (but never have any examples, and always tell me how paramedics overthink everything) are a couple of well seasoned EMTs. The other medics I work with have zero issues with me. We get along very well, and aside from the first day, I've never felt unprepared to do the job.

Last edited by a moderator: