Hey you guys!

lilbrawler

Forum Ride Along
Hey you guys, My names tyler...
and well...
Ive wanted to be an Emt/Paramedic- OR Anything related to being the first one to help a person in dire need of medical services...due to be me being severely injured and life flighted about a year ago..and knowing what a difference those Emt's and Flight Paramedics made in my life is what decided for me to quit roughnecking...
Im currently residing Parkersburg West Virginia...and would like to become certified!!!...I understand you have to work your way up from B,I to Paramedic..but how do i go about this first step? ANY and all Info would be greatly appreciated...Thank you!! Hope to be one of you guys soon!!
thanks
tyler

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
do some research into basic programs in your area. find a reputable one that provides a quality education with a good support structure.

register for said program.

learn, study, and pass said program.

take/pass certification exams.

decide whether you're going to roll right into medic school or get some street time first. feel free to search the forum archives for how we all feel on that matter and please dont bring it up again. its not a pretty topic.

there you go. a basic outline of a plan. now, get to searching for your worthwhile emt program.

OP
OP
lilbrawler

lilbrawler

Forum Ride Along
Im having a hard time EVEN finding a program to register for here in this area...and whats an average length for the EMT-B course? and can I actually get a job with the Basic Certification or are most ambulance services looking for Intermediate certified or Paramedics generally?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i dont know what level services in your area are looking for. your best bet is to look up the services that run in your area and find out if the run all medics or bls/als trucks.

the basic course averages 3 months. there are programs that are longer and ones that are shorter. its all in how many hours a week you go to school. again, if you'd like to be informed as to how we all feel about that, its well documented in the archives. thats another topic that generally ends in a fight, so lets not relive that one just yet, m'kay?

you may not be able to find a program right in your immediate area. it may require significant travel. that of course adds to the expense of the course both in time and money for gas etc. i happened to be lucky and attended a school <2mi from my house. not everybody has that oppurtunity.

OP
OP
lilbrawler

lilbrawler

Forum Ride Along
nevermind...took me all but 30 seconds to figure that out lol:rolleyes:...
AND...what do you all personally recommend? i would just like to hear separate opinions....and whos a paramdeci/emt in WV here? anyone?