HERO Haiti

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
Anyone been down to Haiti to volunteer with HERO. I just submitted my application and am looking to hear what experiences people have had. Any information would be great.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Also following... I've been in talks with them as well but haven't committed to anything.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I spent a few months with them this year, feel free to ask any questions

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I spent a few months with them this year, feel free to ask any questions
How was the experience?
How much out of pocket expenses did you have?
Did you find it difficult to make the trip, or was it pretty smooth?
How is the organization and it's leadership?

MedicBender

Forum Captain
How was the experience?
How much out of pocket expenses did you have?
Did you find it difficult to make the trip, or was it pretty smooth?
How is the organization and it's leadership?

Over all the experience was wonderful. I met a lot of great people and pushed my skills and critical thinking in a challenging environment.

Out of pocket, maybe $900. The tickets for me were 500, the rest was me spending money on food and what ever else I fancied. Now keep in mind I was there for a few months. Someone who went for a couple weeks wouldn’t spent that much. In the regards to food, you don’t have to spend money as they will cover it, however I bought extra snacks, beers on occasion, stuff like that.

The trip was very smooth. Customs in Haiti can take a while but nothing that ruined the trip.

The organization and its leadership are growing and developing. Its grassroots for sure. Lots of things are still being worked out. I know they’ve made quite a few changes since I left, many of which for the better. It’s starting to operate more like an EMS agency by day.

The best piece of advice I can give you is go in with an open mind. It was a great experience and if it wasn’t for starting a new job I would of been heading back already.