help!?!?!

PaulieThePirate

Forum Probie
So i have a issue if anyone could help me with it that would be terrific. I've been a EMT for about a Yr in the city. Recently i broke my arm on a call and was out of work for about 2months. Well as of last week I'm finally back to work but I'm having a issue i didn't have before. For some reason I'm getting violently Car sick in the back of my truck and the effects stay with me all day. I figure it was just the two partners i had my first two days but my third shift the driver was great. I'm not puking just horrible head pain and Nausea. Any advice? Thanks for your time!

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
So i have a issue if anyone could help me with it that would be terrific. I've been a EMT for about a Yr in the city. Recently i broke my arm on a call and was out of work for about 2months. Well as of last week I'm finally back to work but I'm having a issue i didn't have before. For some reason I'm getting violently Car sick in the back of my truck and the effects stay with me all day. I figure it was just the two partners i had my first two days but my third shift the driver was great. I'm not puking just horrible head pain and Nausea. Any advice? Thanks for your time!

NUX...30x use as directed or message me for more info. Works well until ya get yer sea-legs back. No side effects :)

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
It may be that you just aren't used to being in the back of the rig again, like rescue99 said, you just need to get your sea legs back. :p Good luck and I hope you get all fixed up and de-nauseated!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Start simple. Pick up some Ginger candies; they really are soothing. Stay near an AC blower. If you have to look out a window, sit facing the rear window and look out. I agree, your sea legs will come back. Metaphorically, you're probably struggling a little with the uncertainty of your recovery and it's a little nauseating to think about.

BTW I drive the road to Hana, Maui for a living as a Tour Guide. That's 1,234 curves and 108 one-lane bridges in 100 miles. I know a little about treating car-sickness, pre Aloha-bag use!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ginger Altoids helped get me through the first part of internship.

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
I agree with Firetender, try to look out a window at a fixed horizon if it's possible. It also helps to keep your head up and in the direction you are traveling. Obviously you won't be able to do this if you have a patient, but try to do it when you can. Motion sickness comes from a dissociation between your eyes and your inner ears. What is happening is your eyes are telling your brain that you are in a fixed place and not moving, but your inner ear is telling your brain that you are. This is what causes problems. It isn't a big deal (even astronauts get it) and it will go away after you are used to being in the ambulance.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
NUX...30x use as directed or message me for more info. Works well until ya get yer sea-legs back. No side effects :)

Wait... like Nux Vomica? A homeopathic remedy?! I'm coming back to this cesspool because this needs addressing.

Enjoy your water, but don't try to sell it to other people, especially on a medicine-related forum.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
See your doc.

Concussion? Inner ear derangement?

Converse to everyone else, when I'm stuck in windowless rooms and I'm getting true motion sickness, I hang something like a pendulum or look at a fluid level which moves freely to give my eyes confirmation of what my semicircular canals are telling me.