Help me understand this.....

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
BLS paged for a 37yo with heavy bleeding. I was not on call. But run report states that the female has had 3 surgeries in the last month. The last one they had Inserted a "balloon" in her uterus. Question: why would dr's do that? She had obviously passed the balloon and hence the heavy bleeding. I have tried to look it up on net and come up with no answers.

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
speculating here:

wouldnt the balloon have been to tampenade the bleeding? apply direct pressure from the inside of the uterus?

or

provide an internal support for the uterine wall?

piggy16

Forum Probie
There is Uterine Balloon Therapy which is used to help control severe menstrual bleeding and other problems, but the balloon is removed after the procedure.

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
speculating here:

wouldnt the balloon have been to tampenade the bleeding? apply direct pressure from the inside of the uterus?

or

provide an internal support for the uterine wall?

that makes sense, but usually if there is that much bleeding from the uterus, they just do emergency hysto. Lady has had 5pints of blood in the last week, due to blood loss. Hummmmmm IDK

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe she still is holding hope of having kids so they're trying everything to save her uterus? There's a lot of reasons why they haven't just taken her uterus, and monday morning quaterbacking won't get us the answer.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
Man, I'm just glad I don't have a balloon in my uterus. Poor lady!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I hate the word "obviously".

It's right there with "assume".