OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Bite stick? REALLY?

Yep, best tool in the world for putting putty into nail holes.And why

not a SAM Splint?
Never used one, and our squad doesn't carry them.

Dominion, I like your system!

I run with a busy (5,000 calls a year) suburban combination EMS agency. 2+ duty crews on station 24x7, additional trucks staffed by volunteers from home when needed (5 times or so a month). since we run from station, members aren't supposed to go direct to the scene except for special circumstances (like if it's your neighbor).

Exactly the same as me, we wil run about 6000 this year.

I have a decent BLS jump bag for doing first aid standbys for Scouting events... I never seem to have it with me when I come upon something on the road. And when I DO come upon something... I get by OK with a cool head, do a quick triage, and try to have some helpful info to the 1st arriving unit. After they get there, I leave.

Couldn't have said it better

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Bite stick? REALLY?
And why not a SAM Splint?

Dominion, I like your system!

I LOVE sam splints. I found a huge box of them from a local EMS supply company that went out of business. Instead of liquidating their inventory they donated all their stuff to our county, what we didn't use got sold off. I kept several of them and gave a ton to co-workers. They are expensive to buy but if you run a low volume county then you probably won't use it that often.

I mean I've worked at my current service for about 10 months and I've splinted maybe 3 or 4 injuries that oculd have benefited from a SAM. I don't splint if i don't have to, can't stand the metal ladder splints we carry.

We did about 10k runs last year and have about 1/4 of that in transports from local doc in the box to admitting hospitals.

MRE

Forum Captain
To try to bring the thread back to the original question.

If you want to build a kit, THINK SIMPLE.

You could carry:
2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x9, 8x10 and 10x30 gauze
and 4 sizes of cling

Or
a few 4x4s and 1 10x30
and a few rolls of 4" cling

You could carry
1/2" tape
1" tape
2" tape

Or
2" tape and cut/rip to size

A smaller and more efficent bag is easier to carry and find things in than a large one.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
To try to bring the thread back to the original question.

If you want to build a kit, THINK SIMPLE.

You could carry:
2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x9, 8x10 and 10x30 gauze
and 4 sizes of cling

Or
a few 4x4s and 1 10x30
and a few rolls of 4" cling

You could carry
1/2" tape
1" tape
2" tape

Or
2" tape and cut/rip to size

A smaller and more efficent bag is easier to carry and find things in than a large one.

Thank you.. I appreciate your advice.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
What about if you ARE ON DUTY....

So, where I am it is an average of 5 minutes to get to the rig, and up to 15 minutes to get to the call from the rig. (I volunteer for two towns... mine and my neighboring town...)

I managed to somehow buy a house on the outskirts of BOTH towns. I suppose if 10 years ago, I knew what I was getting into I would have bought a house close to a station with an ambulance but....

So, when I am on the schedule - and in my state have a legal duty to act... it is very likley I am going direct to the scene and Geuves will pick up the limo and meet me there.

I have essentially what W1IM listed except I also have a coller and oral glucose. Should I also have ASA? What about airway adjuntcs?

Does the fact I am on duty and responding with a POV make a difference?

And, for the record... when I am not on duty the jump bag stays in my fire gear bag, not in my vehicle... I have a red light I use ON SCENE OF MVA's only and no other indicators I am an EMT of firefighter on my vehicles.

Not that it matters, after coaching youth sports and academic events in my region for 15 years everyone knows me anyway.

What should I have in a jump back when responding on duty, with POV? What about o2? I have a BVM, and a pocket mask... this is all department provided too I should mention.

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
Laerdal Stifneck Pedi Select Adjustable Cervical Collar
Quantity: 1
Details: (selectp) Laerdal Stifneck Pedi Select Adjustable Cervical Collar
Each: $8.95
Item Total: $8.95

Laerdal Stifneck Adult Select Adjustable Cervical Collar
Details: (select) Laerdal Stifneck Adult Select Adjustable Cervical Collar
Each: $8.95
Item Total: $8.95

Berman Airways(orophyrangeal)
Details: (bak7) Berman Airway kit 7 Sizes per Bag
Each: $3.25
Item Total: $3.25

Instant Glutose
Details: (glutx) Tube of Instant Glutose 15gr
Each: $4.75
Item Total: $4.75

I also have 4- 5X9 petrolatum gauze pads, CPR mask, alcohol wipes, glucometer, fingernail polish remover, pulse oximeter, Littman stetoscope(not cardiology, but a good model)

Well first off let me say you have quite the kit!! Galls.com sells EMS kits like these (I have one too) for a relatively decent price. However a few things you may wanna ask your MD or reconsider carrying due to liability.

1. C-Collar is handy to have however check with your MD on how he/she wants you to proceed without the use of a backboard.

2. Instant Glucose although a good thing to carry, may not be allowed by your local laws and MD. Check with them!!

3. orophyrangeal- You MD and local Laws may dictate on how you can proceed (if your off-duty and come upon an accident or medical) I also carry these in several sizes, however due to liability and local laws, I'm pretty restricted (while off-duty) on using them on a patient. (They came with the EMT Kit) Unless you have a BVM included with your kit (and some of them do come with a BVM and O2 tank- 'Check galls.com') It's a little hard to do CPR with a Orophyrangeal!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Mentioned earlier, where might one find a tactical tourniquet? More for a wilderness first aid setting then an urban one.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
The state of Indiana has a list of required supplies for BLS non-transport providers, this is for agencies / organizations that have a BLS Non-Transport License. It might hold some information and or suggestions for your use.

http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/bls_non_list.pdf