HELP -- Following Paramedics

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CimS2HZKyQ&feature=related

Found some videos on Youtube following Paramedics around our southern-hemisphere buddies. Looks fairly good. :D

This first episode has a cardiac arrest they call, an auto-ped, a chest pain, kicking the door in at a welfare call, and a twin childbirth with resuscitation. They intertwine interviews with the Paramedics and ambulance officers.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Great find Linuss!

Thanks for posting this.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Good job the NSW ambos are one of the largest services in the world and dont seem to operate too differently to us. These videos however look to be a few years old, old uniforms and is that a 3 lead monitor Brown spotted?

For our American colleagues, what do you notice that is the same or different from how you work?

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Good job the NSW ambos are one of the largest services in the world and dont seem to operate too differently to us. These videos however look to be a few years old, old uniforms and is that a 3 lead monitor Brown spotted?

Yeah on the chest pain run that looked like a LP10 to me.

For our American colleagues, what do you notice that is the same or different from how you work?

Not substantially different. Less people on scene that's for sure - particularly compared to where I work. Of course, no one stops doing what they're doing to pick up a phone/radio to call med control at any point which is probably the most glaring difference (and a positive one). They also didn't roll that guy who got hit by a car on to a backboard for spinal immobilization in reference to some sort of "mechanism" - and hey, he turned out all right with just a few fractures in his foot. The world didn't end.

The ambulances themselves are quite different in terms of action area layout, and man those things look top heavy! But they look quite nice (much nicer than the unit I get to start up every morning and it's questionable whether or not the engine, transmission, and whole ball of wax is gonna come crashing through the undercarriage or not). Hats were kinda silly though. ;)

Other than that it's the same sort of issues that come up on any typical scene here in the States.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Of course, no one stops doing what they're doing to pick up a phone/radio to call med control at any point which is probably the most glaring difference (and a positive one).

Yeah but in LA you have to call medical control to take a pee just about :p

They also didn't roll that guy who got hit by a car on to a backboard for spinal immobilization in reference to some sort of "mechanism" - and hey, he turned out all right with just a few fractures in his foot. The world didn't end.

The ambulances themselves are quite different in terms of action area layout, and man those things look top heavy!

The vanbusprinters are quite top heavy but quite nice to work in.

We do not even carry a longboard anymore :p

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah but in LA you have to call medical control to take a pee just about :p

I'll have you know that our Procedures Prior to Base Contact Policy now encompasses an ENTIRE page front AND back! Here's to progress.

The vanbusprinters are quite top heavy but quite nice to work in.
Indeed, they seem quite nice.

We do not even carry a longboard anymore :p

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:. :p

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Nice find Linuss!

I keep thinking "why are they driving into oncoming traffic" and then I realize that I'm an idiot :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nice find Linuss!

I keep thinking "why are they driving into oncoming traffic" and then I realize that I'm an idiot :p

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that! :p

Nice find guys, this is great to see!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I hate driving in countries with left hand traffic rules, not only do I drive myself crazy thinking I'm on the wrong side I keep ramming my hand into the door every time i reach for the shifter.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CimS2HZKyQ&feature=related

Found some videos on Youtube following Paramedics around our southern-hemisphere buddies. Looks fairly good. :D

This first episode has a cardiac arrest they call, an auto-ped, a chest pain, kicking the door in at a welfare call, and a twin childbirth with resuscitation. They intertwine interviews with the Paramedics and ambulance officers.

Linuss, you may want to check the old Discovery Health show, "Paramedics". They cancelled that show to make room for things like, "Oh my God, Im gonna have a baby, I didnt know I was pregnant", and "Dr G, let's show an autopsy but censor out the body", as well as the famous, "Ok, so we are teens and we have a baby on the way... No one else has ever been through this"

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Linuss, you may want to check the old Discovery Health show, "Paramedics". They cancelled that show to make room for things like, "Oh my God, Im gonna have a baby, I didnt know I was pregnant", and "Dr G, let's show an autopsy but censor out the body", as well as the famous, "Ok, so we are teens and we have a baby on the way... No one else has ever been through this"

And they finally replaced all of those with "OMG OPRAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! network"

I can't find any episodes of it :(

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not substantially different. Less people on scene that's for sure - particularly compared to where I work. Of course, no one stops doing what they're doing to pick up a phone/radio to call med control at any point which is probably the most glaring difference (and a positive one). They also didn't roll that guy who got hit by a car on to a backboard for spinal immobilization in reference to some sort of "mechanism" - and hey, he turned out all right with just a few fractures in his foot. The world didn't end.

Not different from how my system works, then. We don't call MC unless stumped, we have 2 people on scene for 95% of our calls (unless a second ambulance decides to tag along) since we're in an area with mainly volunteer FDs, and we do spinal clearance. However, we have nicer monitors :D

Our bigger medium duty ambulances also have front-facing action seats rather than bench seats.

Psh, I drove on the "wrong" side of traffic on the highway / off ramp yesterday. Scared the crap out of the people trying to use the off-ramp, that's for sure.

Linuss, you may want to check the old Discovery Health show, "Paramedics".

Actually saw my first episode of "Paramedics" in EMT class. ^_^

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
I noticed they tend to spend much more time on scene than we do. We don't have to call med control TOO much, but it's still obviously different than those paramedics.

Great show, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Not different from how my system works, then. We don't call MC unless stumped, we have 2 people on scene for 95% of our calls (unless a second ambulance decides to tag along) since we're in an area with mainly volunteer FDs, and we do spinal clearance. However, we have nicer monitors :D

Our bigger medium duty ambulances also have front-facing action seats rather than bench seats.

Psh, I drove on the "wrong" side of traffic on the highway / off ramp yesterday. Scared the crap out of the people trying to use the off-ramp, that's for sure.

Actually saw my first episode of "Paramedics" in EMT class. ^_^

Not gonna lie, Linuss, you're my hero

DCAP-BLS-TIC

Forum Ride Along
I was expecting a thread for tips on how to stalk paramedics.

Great show, I'm on episode 4 now.

I would have loved to have seen Paramedics on TLC, but I guess TLC is all about teenage pregnancies and :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing Sarah Palin now?

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
Oh, another thing I noticed is that they give pain medications for non-isolated trauma as well. Wish we could do that around here.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
thanks for the link, really good show. ive watched 3 so far.

the look on the guys face as the neonate let out its frist cry, a look of pure relief!!