Hello from Kansas City!

Kalen

Forum Ride Along
I actually joined this community awhile ago when I decided I wanted to start the EMS path. Since then I got a job as a housekeeper in a ER to make sure I was interested, and well, I started my EMT class in August! I love it, though I was been REALLY nervous leading up to my first exam, but so far so good. I took A&P this summer so that really helped.

Just wanted to say hi. I'm excited that I am finally STARTING.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Kansas city Kansas or Missouri?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I actually joined this community awhile ago when I decided I wanted to start the EMS path. Since then I got a job as a housekeeper in a ER to make sure I was interested, and well, I started my EMT class in August! I love it, though I was been REALLY nervous leading up to my first exam, but so far so good. I took A&P this summer so that really helped.

Just wanted to say hi. I'm excited that I am finally STARTING.

Good to hear it is working out.

Experience cleaning up after other people make a mess is probably the best prerequisite imaginable.

OP
OP
K

Kalen

Forum Ride Along
Kansas city Kansas or Missouri?

Kansas City, Kansas, but I'm right on the state line. Going to Kansas City Kansas Community College.

And yes, it's good to know I'm not easily grossed out and that my nose isn't very sensitive. ;)

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
I read that your area is going through a change with Fire and EMS. Am I correct and can you elaborate. I'm under the impression that they will start sending BLS to BLS calls and use medics when needed, not on every single boo boo.

OP
OP
K

Kalen

Forum Ride Along
I'm not sure about that, unfortunately, but I'll ask around. So far I still see medics bringing BLS patients into the ER.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That is Kansas City, MO. Not KC, K.

And those rat b*stards. They obliterate MAST and now they're reducing services to make up for the fact that they totally farked up integrating the system. Thank you KCMO, you've set a great example of how to totally ruin a perfectly good EMS system. <_<

There is NOTHING to say hooray for. KCMO had a good set up. BLS fire department, ALS 3rd service agency. The city loved MAST, who were consistently more popular than the FD. Then the IAFF throws MAST under the bus, the FD takes over under the guise of saving money. Response times and quality go down. The FDs response? Stop sending paramedics to all calls. Morons.

I'm sure that "bravo seizure" that turned out to be a intermittent V-tach would love to hear they would have only gotten a BLS crew under the new system.

Edit: And medical care is medical care. The "good BLS before ALS" is a bunch of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
I have to agree with you Aidey, people make it appear that paramedics are incapable of performing BLS care, although I would argue that we could all stand to be better at providing basic care.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
I have to agree with you Aidey, people make it appear that paramedics are incapable of performing BLS care, although I would argue that we could all stand to be better at providing basic care.

OP
OP
K

Kalen

Forum Ride Along
A little while after I started researching becoming a EMT KCMO Fire took over MAST. I know people who worked there and that's where I was planning on applying eventually! I had one friend who worked for MAST who was laid off soon after the take over. They laid off a lot of people even though they said they wouldn't and now KCMO Fire is hiring again. HMM.

Anyway, that's why I'm getting my EMT in Kansas. I want to get into KCKS Fire eventually. It's fire, but they pay really well and I've heard a lot of good things about working for them.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
No, it has nothing to do with medics being good at "BLS care". It has to do with the fact it is all medicine and BLS and ALS are bull crap designators that are used because people don't know any better.