heart arrythmias

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone know a good website with a list of heart arrythmias and their patterns ?

Thank you in advance.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Ha, I was gonna link him to that. It's a fun game for a little bit. You should buy a book on ECGs.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Except the website will not help nearly as much as a book, since the website has no variations or real world strips... they are all computer generated and SVT looks like SVT looks like SVT looks like SVT.

Get Dubins "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" and a book with hundreds of strips, such as "EKG Strip Ease"

This next part may seem a little brunt, but:

You're a brand new EMT. It seems like you're more worried about looking knowledgeable and cool by being able to read a squiggly line on a screen, more than actually learning why the heart is doing what it's doing. If you truly want more knowledge thats above and beyond your scope, do it the right way. Ground up.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi, Linuss,

Thank you for your concern and advice.

My current role in EMS does not involve reading strips, however, I intend to browse this site during downtime, etc, to have an awareness of so when I do eventaully go to paramedic school, it will not be 100% new to me.

I do not intend to use this knowledge for patient care or to impress others, although, I do appreciate your advice, as always.

Once I know the game cold. And I have the budget, I intend to buy and read the book you recommend.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I learned it to impress others. B) Not nearly as impressive if you only know half it.

I read Saunders Nursing Survival Guide: ECGs & the Heart 2nd Edition, and I liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
The thing about $3 is it adds up several times. $3 hear, $3 there.

Do the math buying $3 of take out food every day.

I am learning to live with a strict budget. I am also trying to keep clutter out of my apartment. How many of us have books and magazines we never touch anymore?

I intend to view the website to give myself an awareness of the topic.

When I take a medic class, then I will obtain all appropriate books.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Go to Dubins website on the book, he has a bunch of free info that far supersedes skillstat. Skillstat is good, but it has its place, and that's not teaching what you need to know to be a learned, and not just a trained, provider.

PS--- I spend $10 a day on food and I'm on a strict budget... I budget it in :p

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I learned it to impress others. B) Not nearly as impressive if you only know half it.

I am just naturally impressive no two ways about it. Heck wait until I get into my Doctor jumpsuit man I'll be more popular than ants at a picnic :D

The best ECG book I have come across is Lippincott's 12 lead ECG interpretation (part of thier nursing series, its a little brown book)

ECG Notes, Interpretation and Management Guide by Jones (FA Davis & Co.) is also a really good book however the first one is better for understanding what you are looking at; the latter is a good quick reference guide.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Maybe I'll go hunt that book down. The one I have is good for starters, but it doesn't go over some of the stuff I've already seen online like the online blog you guys posted with SVT and VT. It'll make good review, fill in gaps that I am not aware of, etc.

Mainly been interested in pharmacology as of late though, and I don't have a book for that other my PDR. I just look up all the medications we talked about in my Clinical Tech class, which was just a supplemental class to EMT with no certification at all, and briefly goes over stuff, and the medication you guys discuss on the forum.

I'm generous to my friends. After I finish a book and feel like I know it front to back, I give it away. That or I sell it to a used book store unless it's a really good book and I decide to keep it just for future reference. It's a real shame though because they will make themselves appear interested, but then they do the book no justice by just letting it sit around. Unfortunately just because I give it to my friends it doesn't mean they read it though. :(

Being conservative with your money is good, but not buying something when it's worth it for you is dumb. What good is gonna do you to save $3 when the book is probably gonna benefit you way more. It's like the thought of not cleaning up your apartment because you're just gonna make it messy again anyhow. I think it's a good idea to buy the book rather than half arse it by doing it online unless you happen to find a good online resource for it, which I have yet to find. There are good things online that go over the beyond basics, the gist of it only, and then some good things that go into detail on a specific thing. A lot of the books will go over everything into somewhat okay detail.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I need to learn how to do this to impress my instructor and state boards :p

Cool site, and thanks for the heads up on the books. Just got one of the two from a friend.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
When I take a medic class, then I will obtain all appropriate books.

When I took my basic class last fall, I had read Brady and AAOS prior to the class... and did the websites, etc... it pays off...

I am not on my second EMT-I text, as well as taking extra shifts so I can observe/assist ALS providers. I am with you on this one... get as much knowledge prior to the class... BUT... make sure that you understand what you are reading. You do not want to draw incorrect conclusions or misunderstand something that may be glossed over in class. If you are not sure of something you read on your own, run it by someone in your service.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I need to learn how to do this to impress my instructor and state boards :p

Cool site, and thanks for the heads up on the books. Just got one of the two from a friend.
Although it's not nearly as impressive when the EMTs around you are Paramedic students. On my ride along, the EMT helped me with my homework (I didn't have a PDR), he quizzed me on different medications and all of the medications we had inside the ambulance. The Paramedic, who was also my instructor (not for EMT, but a supplemental course for the EMT program, or before, or after it) quizzed me on medications she administered, and what we witnessed administered at the hospitals. The EMT also quizzed me on ECGs. At the time, I mostly failed epicly with the pharmacology questions they asked me, but did pretty well on most ECG questions they asked me. I think if I could go back in time with the same brain I have now, it wouldn't impress them anyhow that I could answer that. It would be more like an expectation if you take what you do seriously. At least I think they thought I was somewhat on the right track and trying. I probably paid too much attention to things outside of my scope of practice rather than perfecting my skills as a Basic, and on that ride along, I failed to get vital signs and answer questions related to my level.

If I want to impress people, I'd play the piano, solve a Rubik's cube, or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I hope you realize I was kidding. By impressing my instructors and state board I simply mean I want to learn the material, and pass the class/exam.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I hope you realize I was kidding. By impressing my instructors and state board I simply mean I want to learn the material, and pass the class/exam.
Yeh, I read it jokingly kind of like that other guy who keeps posting cool story bro. I posted a serious post, but it wasn't towards you. Earlier I was joking too about trying to impress people. :)